Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
Why would you? It's just crinkle-paint over metal. Just remove the paint, convert any rust, and then crinkle-paint it again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because the black crinkle paint is missing on some spots and I want to paint it to match my interior color. Now just answer my damn question would ya :p How would you recommend I remove the paint?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You won't find any rust on a rally-pac housing, it's made of pot metal. Worst problem would be flaking/dusting from corrosion.

Agree with mid... paint stripper followed by lacquer thinner and steel wool. No need to blast.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Most of mine just flaked off, why the need to media blast it? :shrug:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas. I got the blasting idea from a past article I read and figured that would be the way to go. I will use the stripper method. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I too say just you some chemical stripper. The wrinkle paint comes off very easily. Wipe it down, let it dry and repaint. I've done it several times with very good results.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Bead blast, sand blast is too harsh, but be careful that pot metal can be soft. Have a hair drier handy to help the new paint wrinkle. That's how I did mine.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I did mine in the oven.... :roflao:

boy did I hear about THAT....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts