Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modding in an oil pressure gauge to the Rally Pac?

Nobody needs a clock any more!

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
The 65GT or the 66 has an oil pressure gauge. I like the clock (some of the newest classy cars are going analog again) it is really cool it has 24-hour markings, and keeps you from looking at your phone! The Stewart-Warner gauges in what looks like an inverted low-profile Rally Pac under the dash of a 67 look cool. What year are you working on?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
Ok, I kinda like the concept, ...as a very interesting mod....

·
7,063 Posts
I like my rally pac as is. When it came to mounting an oil pressure gauge, I made a radio delete plate out of ABS and found there is just enough room for 2 1-1/2" gauges in it.

Phil

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Shelby gauge dash pod is pretty dang cool, too.

·
7,063 Posts
So...in that pic you can see I used textured ABS to form a blank that would push in from behind the dash and snuggly fill the OEM radio hole. Then that backing piece gets 2 each of those round automotive fasteners pushed in through the OEM volume and tuning holes and through drilled holes in the abs mounting strap shown. Those are the only thing that is used to hold the assembly in place with the little whiskers on the push fasteners. There were no modifications done to the dash. In fact, if you wanted to, you could remove that assembly in about a minute and put a factory radio back in. Stewart Warner doesn't make those gauges anymore....I had problems with the backlight on one of mine and ended up replacing them both with equus brand I bought of amazon. They work well. You should be able to get textured abs from partsexpress.com ABS glue is available in the plumbing section of your local hardware store to glue the blank to the back strap. I built/installed this over 10 years ago...and the only issue was the backlight going out in the SW gauges finally. The cheaper equus gauges have a replaceable lamp. Unfortunately the original SW gauges did not.

Equus part number 8162 and 8164

·
Registered
542 Posts
So...in that pic you can see I used textured ABS to form a blank that would push in from behind the dash and snuggly fill the OEM radio hole. Then that backing piece gets 2 each of those round automotive fasteners pushed in through the OEM volume and tuning holes and through drilled holes in the abs mounting strap shown. Those are the only thing that is used to hold the assembly in place with the little whiskers on the push fasteners. There were no modifications done to the dash. In fact, if you wanted to, you could remove that assembly in about a minute and put a factory radio back in. Stewart Warner doesn't make those gauges anymore....I had problems with the backlight on one of mine and ended up replacing them both with equus brand I bought of amazon. They work well. You should be able to get textured abs from partsexpress.com ABS glue is available in the plumbing section of your local hardware store to glue the blank to the back strap. I built/installed this over 10 years ago...and the only issue was the backlight going out in the SW gauges finally. The cheaper equus gauges have a replaceable lamp. Unfortunately the original SW gauges did not.

Equus part number 8162 and 8164
Pretty ingenious.
Are the proportions off in the pic you posted, such that the gauges look larger than the radio blank?
Does the 2-gauge panel fasten to the radio blanking panel, and hang down below the radio opening?
Are the gauges so thin that the backs actually do not go into the dash?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
Very innovative! I like, especially when I don't ever listen to my FM!

·
7,063 Posts
Here's a couple of other pics that show the above assembly mounted in the car now. Note that I swapped out the original SW gauges (long out of production now) for the two equus gauges that I listed the part numbers earlier in this thread.

·
Premium Member
7,374 Posts
I had a rally pac in my 1965, circa 1970, until the car was totalled in 1982. It had a Moon oil pressure gauge instead of a clock.

It was not uncommon then for a 1965, with the Falcon style cluster, since there was only the idiot light. It was a mechanical gauge, with a translucent oil line running up from the engine with oil in it.

I have a weakness for Rally Pac's, with maybe 10 or so sitting in the garage, and I have seen oil gauges in several of them, always 1965's, (High profile) never a 1966 (Low Profile) style.

·
7,063 Posts
I had a rally pac in my 1965, circa 1970, until the car was totalled in 1982. It had a Moon oil pressure gauge instead of a clock.

It was not uncommon then for a 1965, with the Falcon style cluster, since there was only the idiot light. It was a mechanical gauge, with a translucent oil line running up from the engine with oil in it.

I have a weakness for Rally Pac's, with maybe 10 or so sitting in the garage, and I have seen oil gauges in several of them, always 1965's, (High profile) never a 1966 (Low Profile) style.
Must have made for quite an experience if that plastic line with hot, high pressure oil, right above your lap, blew out while you were driving down the highway.

The other thing about RP's is, if you go in on KBB and value a Mustang, they add about 5% if it has one. I know they make repops now...but I wouldn't mess with a vintage one too much....

Phil

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I thought about doing something along those lines to my rally pac in my '66. Instead, I modified a factory under-dash A/C unit, I have aftermarket A/C. I removed the blower motor and cut off the back half of the unit. I then ran duct plenum to the two outside vent bezels of the factory unit and installed an oil pressure gauge and temp gauge in the two inside bezels.

I removed the inside plastic slats in the bezels, did a little filing so the gauges fit snug. I went with Stewart-Warner Greenline mechanical 2 1/16 gauges.

Just another idea to throw at you.

John

SK Interior 6.jpg

Reactions: Garth66

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My '67 Ranchero has idiot lights only so I made my own version of a rally pack. I used 2-1/8th steel tubing welded to a steel "separator" plate that attaches to a clamp than holds the assembly onto the column. I used a fairly rare "ribbon tach" that was available from Ford The right tube holds a "dual gauge" ( water temp and oil pressure) , the flat sideways reading tach is in the middle and the left tube holds a vacuum gauge sold by Ford. I painted it with black wrinkle paint and it fools many people as being genuine Ford. The flat tach only hides the odometer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts