Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Dickson's and my ralley pacs back from Mr. Tachman a couple of days ago. Dickson's appears to work fine, but my tach is sticking (damage due to shipping). Mr. Tachman in his paperwork said not to use key to ON position while using the radio, for example, without running the engine, as the points might damage the tach. I was completely unaware of this. I questioned him on this, as to whether this also applied to Pertronix, and he said electronic ignitions don't create this problem. I guess if the points are just on the verge of opening/closing, the slightest tremor could cause them to open/close, causing signals to the tach. It seems to me that any DC current is shunted out of the tach by the transformer.

Tachman got all over my butt about the butchering I did to both tachs. He claims the 3 diodes in each were blown, and he spent several more hours repairing them than estimated. Now there were 3 components that appeared to be capacitors that were unmarked; I guess now they were diodes. The only thing I did was put them across a capacitor-meter, which should blow diodes, but I guess it did. Anyway, I kinda resent the abuse he's heaping on me continuously...I let it slide and don't argue. What's the sense in it?

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Heya Mid-
Good to hear you got the tachs back, sorry that you're having troubles though... What and when is it sticking? Mine stuck every once in a while the first couple days after I installed it, I suppose from decades of non-use, but a few good revs got it going. Next times he yells at you, just say "HEY!!! If it wasn't for guys like me that butcher them, you wouldn't have anything to fix!!!!" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Good luck!

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The needle is not floating freely in the jewel movement. When I start the car, the idle rpm indicates 500, 750, or something inbetween. Shutting off the engine, the needle doesn't go back to 0. A light tap causes the needle to stick at another rpm point.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Bummer!

I got my rall pac back and I had to reseat the second hand. I suppose that it was jarred loose by UPS. I think they are running all of the fragile equipment we deal with through Dale Jarrett's Taurus on the NASCAR circuit. Anyhow, I too had a shipping problem. It occurred on the way to Tachman. However, I was forceful and got the entire tach repair and cal paid for by UPS. The insurance is defiitely worth it.

By the way, Gary (Tachman) stated that I used the best method in packing the tach and clock he had ever seen. I wrapped each assembly in bubblewrap and packed each one in a 1 lb coffee can. I then packed each coffee can in bubblewrap in a cardboard box. Use this tip and it may get through UPS without damage. Make sure you insure the package for at least $500.00.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was the best packing job, but yet it was damaged during shipping?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
RJ -
Sorry to hear that he gave you a hard time and that your tach still isn't working.

I don't get it. Since when does it make good business sense to verbally abuse your customers? People make mistakes. If they didn't -- Tachman would have substantially less work, I'd bet. Also, if damage by UPS is so commonplace, why doesn't the Tachman pack them better or find a gentler shipping method? UPS is acting as his agent. If they screw up and won't own up, the buck stops with the Tachman himself, IMO.

If I were you, I'd get the needle fixed by the tachman (or UPS if they're willing to take responsibility) and find someone else to deal with in the future. Hemmings has a number of advertisers who claim they can service collector-car instruments. You shouldn't have to put up with that guy's crap.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts