Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this original Ford 6000 RPM Rally pac. I got it when my father gave me his 67 coupe. He had added it to the 67, but it was never wired in.

I took it off, since it should not be on a 67. I don't know if it works. How can I tell if it was made for a 6 or 8 cylinder Rally Pac?

How much is it worth?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have this original Ford 6000 RPM Rally pac. I got it when my father gave me his 67 coupe. He had added it to the 67, but it was never wired in.

I took it off, since it should not be on a 67. I don't know if it works. How can I tell if it was made for a 6 or 8 cylinder Rally Pac?

How much is it worth?

Thanks
Its for a 6cyl as it only goes to 6000 RPM. The 8cyl I believe went to 8000. As for worth, repros are around 3 or 400 bucks I believe. If I had the money I'd buy it off ya. I'd love to put one on my car.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The one you have is for a 66 (or a 65 GT or deluxe interior, with the 5 gauge instruments.) The Hi-po rally pacs are 8000 rpm, the 6000 rpm would be for a A or C code V8, but could be for a 6 cyl. Look on e-bay and you'll get a pretty good idea what they go for.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Its for a 6cyl as it only goes to 6000 RPM. The 8cyl I believe went to 8000.
You might want to check your facts next time before you give someone absolutely wrong information. As RC65Code stated, the 6000 tach was for any engine (6 or 8 cylinder) other than the hipo 289. The hipo got the 8000 tach.

The original 6 cylinder tachs that I've seen have "6 CYL" stamped on the back of the tach. You have to remove the tach from the housing to see this. The 6 cylinder rally pac is pretty rare, so chances are what you have is an 8 cylinder unit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You might want to check your facts next time before you give someone absolutely wrong information. As RC65Code stated, the 6000 tach was for any engine (6 or 8 cylinder) other than the hipo 289. The hipo got the 8000 tach.

The original 6 cylinder tachs that I've seen have "6 CYL" stamped on the back of the tach. You have to remove the tach from the housing to see this. The 6 cylinder rally pac is pretty rare, so chances are what you have is an 8 cylinder unit.
I stand corrected. Everything that I have read and been told in the past said 6000 was for 6cyl. I apologize for giving mis information.

On a side note, people will be wrong from time to time and you don't have to be quite so crude about it. I admit my mistake and I'm not looking for an apology, just keep that in mind in the future. We're all on here to try and help each other.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On a side note, people will be wrong from time to time and you don't have to be quite so crude about it. I admit my mistake and I'm not looking for an apology, just keep that in mind in the future. We're all on here to try and help each other.
There was nothing crude about it. My concern is this - What if the original poster has asked about this rally pac because he had one he wanted to buy for his 6 cylinder car? You give him some left field information based on something a guy told you that he was told by his cousin's neighbor. He drops $300 on said rally pac and then finds out the information he had recieved was absolutely bogus. The buyer has a responsibilty to verify his information, but we have a responsibility to provide information that is as correct as possible. If you're not sure, state "I think" or "I've heard", or just don't reply at all. No one wins any award for post count.

I make plenty of mistakes and will continue to make them. But, if I don't have a good answer for someone, I don't post.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There was nothing crude about it. My concern is this - What if the original poster has asked about this rally pac because he had one he wanted to buy for his 6 cylinder car? You give him some left field information based on something a guy told you that he was told by his cousin's neighbor. He drops $300 on said rally pac and then finds out the information he had recieved was absolutely bogus. The buyer has a responsibilty to verify his information, but we have a responsibility to provide information that is as correct as possible. If you're not sure, state "I think" or "I've heard", or just don't reply at all. No one wins any award for post count.

I make plenty of mistakes and will continue to make them. But, if I don't have a good answer for someone, I don't post.
I'm not going to jack this guys thread over your reaction to what I said, you're apparent lack of reading exactly what I stated. Again, I apologize if my research was wrong or incomplete.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Original 6-cyl Rally Pacs are rare, but they're out there. I found this one on ebay. While I'm not positive about the later "low profile" Rally Pacs, with a 65 "high profile" Rally Pac, all you had to do was look at the back of the tach. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Pop the tach out, it should say on the back IIRC...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm looking for a rally pack for my 65. So if you're interested in selling...

I have seen a variety of rally packs, high and low profile, some black and some chrome. Not sure what is correct for my car. Is there a good "History of the Rally Pac" online somewhere?

Deke

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm looking for a rally pack for my 65. So if you're interested in selling...

I have seen a variety of rally packs, high and low profile, some black and some chrome. Not sure what is correct for my car. Is there a good "History of the Rally Pac" online somewhere?

Deke
Sorry, it's my back-up for when the one currently in my Mustang dies. Like RC 65 A Code said, the high profile Rally Pacs were for 65's with the Falcon gague cluster with the sweep spedo and the low profile Rally Pacs were for later 65's with the 5-gague cluster and 66 Mustangs. If you PM me, I can e-mail you a neat tutorial a fellow Mustang lover posted online a few years ago It has lots of information on both styles of Rally Pacs. It's no longer available online, but I saved a copy in pdf. I can't upload it to the thread, b/c its too large.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Question related to the Rally Pac...

Did they have Rally-Pacs for 6cyl cars in '65?

I ask because I've seen the high profile Rally-Pacs from many different manufacturers for 8cyl cars, but never for a 6cyl. Since my 6cyl has the bar gauge, it should have the high profile- but the only 6cyl Rally-Pacs I see seem to be for '66, and are not the high profile type (which I believe was only for '65, because by '66 everyone got the 5 gauge cluster).

(PS- I PM'd with a request for the article.)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Question related to the Rally Pac...

Did they have Rally-Pacs for 6cyl cars in '65?

I ask because I've seen the high profile Rally-Pacs from many different manufacturers for 8cyl cars, but never for a 6cyl. Since my 6cyl has the bar gauge, it should have the high profile- but the only 6cyl Rally-Pacs I see seem to be for '66, and are not the high profile type (which I believe was only for '65, because by '66 everyone got the 5 gauge cluster).

(PS- I PM'd with a request for the article.)
Yes, there were high profile Rally Pacs available for 6-cyl Mustangs in 1965. The picture I previously posted is an original 6-cyl tach from 65 high profile Rally Pac. Currently, no company that I know of makes repro high profile Rally Pacs with a 6-Cyl tach. I've heard rumors that the tachs in the Scott Drake repros have dip switches you can use to convert the tach to 6-cyl mode, but it's unclear which Rally Pac (high/low profile) they're talking about. I've also heard that a 6-cyl high profile repro is in the works, but when that will happen I don't know. OK, I'm going to check my PM's now to pass along that Rally Pac Specs document.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts