Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 71 Mach 1's, is it possible to tell from the code if it has Ram air? Some sites say no, but others list a 'Q' code as '351-4V Ram Air'. Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
4v's were not available in Ram Air--They couldn't pass the newly posted emission requirements--351-2v is the only 351 that got Ram Air--HTH

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm going to disagree with Don here. In 71 you could get the ram air option on the cars with 4Vs. However, there was no way (except for the 429 CJ cars) to tell if was factory installed. The 429CJ engine code, either C or J, denoted the presence or absence of the RA option. Starting in 72, only the 2V versions of the 351 could get the RA option for the reasons that Don stated.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Ram air was available on 351 4v's how about the boss. early 4v's got ram air as a option, my guess would be no Q codes probably only some M codes. Ford got caught tring to pass a 2V as a 4V and had to only put it on 2V's ,but some 4V's got out. If you have a 71 Q code it is a very uncommon car I believe less than a thousand were made. I think that the Qcode was a little late for ram air.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is way off track,but i gotta ask Jim this question?is your 71 dart a factory 340 car?
as i have a 71 340 dart also[factory] an they are only sup to be 50 ever built, all for canada
i also have a 69 GTS dart
sorry guy i had to ask

Dave

·
Registered
394 Posts
No, sorry to say it's not. It was originally a 318 car, but the 340 came with the loads of parts that I bought that will someday be a driver. Now, if I could only quit breaking my other cars so I would have time to work on it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts