Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum. Happy to be a member. I was flipping through my Mustangs Unlimited catalog and saw the ram air kit they have for 65-66 2v and 4v 289s. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Does it actually do anything or is it basically for looks? For $450 it better do something! Either way I'm leaning toward getting it. I think it'll add a unique touch. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
884 Posts
What about a Turbo? Doesn't a Turbo just connect to your exhaust pipes somehow and provide ton's of HP?

Does anyone make a Turbo for the 289/302?

Just currious.....I like the Ram Air but I think for the small HP gains I wouldn't want to cut the holes.

Greg.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'm thinking of a similar setup, but using the cowl as the air source.

I've heard that at speed, there is more air pressure at the cowl (thus cowl induction hood) than at the front of the radiator support.

My coupe has a bad cowl anyway, so like I've seen on an old Shelby (IIRC Chuck Cantwell's) I plan to cut a rectancular opening into the cowl area from the engine bay. Whether I'll hook this into the air cleaner I don't yet know. I am told this will vent lots of outside air into the engine bay. Dickson

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
either way frotal ram air or a cowl induction style setup will help the engine breathe cold denser air.

this will increase the HP about 2%

My friend has a cowl induction hood and it looks marvelous
were not done putting her together (65 fastback)

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Here is what I did on my 66 GT restomod. Shelby hood scoop. use the original 289 air cleaner base. Throw the top way. Install a 289 Hipo lid which is smaller than the original cleaner lid. I also made a fiberglass plate that only lets the cold air into the area of the base. And do use a K & N element.
Put a 69 Shelby decal that says "351 Ram Air on the Hipo lid...With your real cubes on it instead. All a lot less than $450.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts