Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the randallsrack rack&pinion conversion? I'm thinking of buying one but have'nt heard of anyone else who has.

I think it looks good -what do you think?

Oh, it's power and about $995 :p

www.randallsrack.com

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Having owned GM cars of that era (J-Car), I can honestly say that I am NOT impressed with the quality of that GM rack. They do not last, period. With my '88 Grand AM, I was on my 3rd by 100,000 miles. He was sketchy on his warranty when questioned.

Personally, I also don't care for the way the inner tie rods get mounted.

However, I do applaud him for bringing his design to market and wish him good luck!

As far as feedback, I've heard none because I don't know of anyone who has purchased it.

Al

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Randalls unit uses a mid 80s center steer rack from a GM car. The one nice thing about the center steer rack (which is the same design as TCP) is that if it's mounted in the right place, you don't effect the bump steer issues with the original suspension, since you are using the original tie rod ends and control arms. The other nice thing about it is that if you do toast the rack - you can go to Auto Jokes or wherever and get a new one - you don't have to send a custom rack off to be repaired.

P.S. - working on a true end steer rack as we speak (write)

Dave
::

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
When I spoke with him at Mustangs Northwest Roundup he indicated that he somehow modified the rack at the center (extra bushings or sleeves) to fit his conversion.

I'd like to see an end-steer rack. The biggest problem I see is that in order to keep bump steer the same the rack inner pivots would have to stay within the 19" (65) of the present center link's inner to inner tied rod length.
The packaging constrains of a rack that size would drive the pinion so far inboard as to make the hook up the steering column difficult.
It's also very difficult to get the right amount of rack travel in something that short.
I can almost see a wider rack with a rear plate (ala TCP and R/R) that's bolted to the rack at the outside, rather than the inside...

I'll be waiting to see how you guys get around some of these problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts