Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Random Thoughts

710 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KeenBean 
G
#1 ·
You just got to love the gas cap design on these early cars! I left the gas cap off after filling up this morning and drove the 20 miles to work with it just dangling there. No harm, no foul...not even gas leakage!

Having recently installed a Gano filter in the coolant circuit, I noticed that radiator fluid continues to circulate well after the engine is turned off. I think I understand why: the radiator is still cooling hotter engine coolant, and since heat rises, there's a natural cooling pattern of circulating it around. This went on for about a minute yesterday after the engine was turned off, then the coolant temp in the engine became about the same temp as that in the radiator. The circulation stopped after that.

Thanks,

Mike
'66 Springtime Yellow Coupe
289, slightly warmed over
driven daily

#3 ·
Yeah we have all drove off with the cap dangleing, well alot of us I'm sure. I bought a cap for a 64 without the "Bail wire" so it wouldn't scratch my paint but now i stand the chance of leaving a 50 dollar cap at the pump. And of course It's not the correct cap, but i'm over that..

AKA "Fastbackpimp"
http://hometown.aol.com//dasbus73/Index.html
[color:blue]VMF Member Since Nov. 99</font color=blue>
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=43855504.jpg

#4 ·
I've thought about adding some 3M "clear bra" protective tape in the area around my gas cap to protect it during fillups. I've nicked the paint there before with the gas cap, and boy was I PO'd.
Think I'll add some also to the painted rocker panel areas (just outside your scuff plates) that shoes tend to scuff pretty easily. The tape is almost invisible, and comes off without harming the paint. Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.