Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a little trouble starting '96 Ranger 2.3 L (starter relay clicking, no starter motor turning) and lo and behold see Ford added another part to faill. all the starter relay does is provide +12 V to solenoid mounted on starter and some other circuits that i have not got to yet. +12 Vs from battery feeds both devices and for life of me can not see use of it . any recent Ford experts out there that can shed some light? never had a Ford without solenoid mounted on inner fender or firewall. only thing it does is provide powe to solenoid and other cks at ign key "start" position - maybe some safety devise to keep power off those other ckts unless starter is being engaged.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 95 F250. The starter checks good and will engage if I click it two or three times. Does your starter do the same?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Every Ford I've ever had has a fenderwell mounted starter solenoid. At some point we s tarting seeing an additional solenoid on the starter so we now have a solenoid starting a solenoid(ingenious eh). My guess is that the starter is a universal(as in the general) type with a Ford snout mounted on it. My 93 Bronco XLT had one and they are expensive.

When mine went out I just got a heavy duty standard size starter for a 351W for about half the price they wanted for the correct one. I then removed the extra wiring harness for the solenoid that used to be on the starter. Voila. It has cranked flawlessly now for 4 years and fires over faster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts