Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a set of wheels I've wanted for a long time.
Ford calls them U spoke.Hollander calls them 03667. Most people on the Ranger forums call them Y spoke .I like to call them baby FR500's
While these are no doubt not everyone's cup of tea they are better looking than what I had. I've only ever seen 1 other with these wheels and that was a photoshop .

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-talk/140760d1317946709-what-do-you-think-these-wheels-1966-mustang-wheels.jpg

It took some machining of the center hole for the front wheels to fit over the snout of my Granada disk so I'm not able to use the center cap on the front,but that doesn't bother me to much. I'm not sure if they would fit a stock spindle or not:shrug:thinking not though.I took a few Quick n Dirty shots just before sundown.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing a Ranger (or anything else) with those wheels. What years were they used?

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Whatever you call them, in my opinion they look one whole heck of a lot better than what you had on there before. Two thumbs up. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts

Probably a 4WD only wheel. I know that in the mid 90's the 2WD Rangers and Explorers came with 15" wheels and the 4WD versions had 16" wheels. I know for a fact that a 2008 2WD Ranger has 15" wheels.

They look good on your car. With some chrome closed end lug nuts they would look even better. And with a little fabricating I bet you could come up with a way to mount a Ford or Mustang emblem over the center hole.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably a 4WD only wheel. I know that in the mid 90's the 2WD Rangers and Explorers came with 15" wheels and the 4WD versions had 16" wheels. I know for a fact that a 2008 2WD Ranger has 15" wheels.

They look good on your car. With some chrome closed end lug nuts they would look even better. And with a little fabricating I bet you could come up with a way to mount a Ford or Mustang emblem over the center hole.
yes only available on the 4WD Ranger FX4
And yes I need some nicer lug nuts now
not sure about the front center cap

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing is the Grease cap protrudes from the rim slightly but I only had the rim machined out to just fit over the rotor snout. If I was to use something like you posted it have to fit a 2.76" hole a less than .25 depth
Might be able to make something like this work though

Got some thinking to do I guess

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
No offense but almost anything is better than the wheels in your sig. Please update the pic :smile2:

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No offense but almost anything is better than the wheels in your sig. Please update the pic :smile2:
No offense taken .I hated those wheels also but the price and size was right at the time (almost free) And yeah I'll need a new sig pic as well

·
Registered
519 Posts
I like the wheels on the car as well. What was the size of the center hub section of the wheel prior to machining?

-Rich

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I like the wheels on the car as well. What was the size of the center hub section of the wheel prior to machining?

-Rich
Thanks ,:smile2:
The back side of the wheel has a standard (to Ranger/Explorer/bronco II) 70.3mm or/2.7677" opening but the face of the wheel necks down to about a 2.25 opening so for the rear it's not a problem it's just the front hub can't fit through so they need to be opened up on the face side to the same 70.3mm/2.7677"
I just won these center caps on Ebay ,going to see if they will work.

for now I'm using the Ranger center cap on the back

but the front grease cap sticks out about .75" from the face of the wheel

here is a good picture of the back side of the wheel and how it necks down

interesting site by the way Bolt Pattern Guide and Lug Nut Chart

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after some measuring it seems I may not of had to have the center machined out if I was to have used a 1" wheel adapter ,,? time will tell

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SOoooo,A little update (sorry no pics yet) is in order for those that care.Ever since seeing these pics from WGI opening weekend This has really bugged me.Look at Huskinhano's car

He is running fairly conservative 215/60/15 and in the pic it looks as if he has wider tires than I do.compared to the next pic.

I'm running 225/50/16,But Of coarse backspacing is everything SO I did some remeasuring and decided to try some 1" wheel adapters and now I can use these wheels stock/unmachined and I'm able to use the center cap. Because I have some + caster the front of the wheel arch needed some love to not rub the tire .Also of note is Now that the track width is 2" wider it seems to have reduced the tramlining I had and I'd like to say the steering is easier but that might be because the tires on the 2 new wheels (I have 6 now) have more tread.
Next up still waiting to score another set of free 225/45/17 for the 17x8 bullits

1 - 19 of 19 Posts