Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we just picked up the 95 GMC Suburban for an amazing price. I get it home on Saturday much to her surprise since SWMBO didn't know we were getting it.
Sunday we go to work cleaning the heavily stained carpets which turned out pretty good. In the process of cleaning SWMBO hit the latch on the door to the closed position. Then after cleaning the door and seats SWMBO slammed the door shut.. oh wait the door won't close after the loud thump it made.. Hmm what to do. Close it even harder this time just as I was coming out of the house asking "why are you slamming the door?" SWMBO replied "It won't close"
I grab the screwdriver and flip the latch and close the door very gently.
Shortly after this SWMBO asks me if I knew the drivers mirror was broken. The force that she used to close the door shattered the mirror and she tried to blame it on me. We had the truck for less than a day.

Can SWMBO get a doofus award?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
No, but I predict a "couch" doofus award, for you, if you don't look the other way when swmbo makes minor goof! Swmbo's do not like to be reminded of any goof ups, they have long,long,long memories. When your passions (hormones) overwhelms your mind for lovin', she will still "remember"! Swmbo's never forget! :p I predict the couch will have a permanent outline of you before this is over! ::

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not yell, get upset, or even tell her how stupid that was. Didn't make a big deal over it at all and just went on cleaning.
Then SWMBO's speeding ticket shows up in the mail last night for $170 and once again I remained calm, but I think she knows I'm not real happy with her right now.
Two doofuses in a row is not a good thing for anyone.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Wow. Nice acquisition on the Submarine. I've got one. a 1995 C2500 with the 6.5L turbodiesel. It's for sale as well.
With regard to the mirror, if you attempt to replace it via the dealership / parts route, sit down. The entire mirror assembly is the part. Mirrors are part of the assembly. Don't ask me how I know.
With regard to SWMBO, she is definitely qualified for Doofus of the month for August...

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Understand the need to rant. It's funny though, in our house, neither has room to be upset with the other. We both break things or cause more work for each other. It's easier just to let it go and move on.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Understand the need to rant. It's funny though, in our house, neither has room to be upset with the other. We both break things or cause more work for each other. It's easier just to let it go and move on.
Well, rember that time that you...... O never mind :: ::

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
I plead the 5th :eek:

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Quote from dawnann's post "Rules from a mans side"...

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

I did not write it :: :: ::

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Instead of replacing the whole miror assembly. GO to a glass shop and see if thay can cut you a new mirror.
We use to do that then take windshield urithane and glue it back on with that. worked real good. even the remote control mirrors.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great idea and I'm going to take it in to a glass shop later this week and get it fixed.
Should be an easy fix since SWMBO broke the driver's side mirror a few years ago on the Explorer...
It's funny it's always my vehicle that SWMBO breaks the mirror on..
I think SWMBO is trying to give me 7 more years of bad luck? I've been married for nearly 10 so SWMBO has me covered now to 17. LOL

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,856 Posts
You might want to check into an aftermarket or "repro" mirror. These are commonly sold by the larger salvage yards that are also dealers for aftermarket body parts. I know for a fact there are replacement mirrors for your Suburban. A few phone calls should tell you who sells them around your area and how much they are.
Not as cheap as having a glass cut, but another option.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,856 Posts
The opportunity popped up and I checked on the prices, $75 for a power mirror, $65 for the same type mirror but manual.
The same mirrors used on Tahoes and such 1995-99 I believe, not the big chrome ones usually used on trucks. The ones I looked at appeared to be quite well made. The same mirror assemblies run close to $300 from Mr.Goodwrench.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the heads up on prices.
Going out today to see what I can get fixed.
At least most of the mirror is still there so at least I can still see with it.

Wish me luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts