Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '73 has been sitting idle for much longer than intended partly because other circumstances took higher priorty but also because for a while it seemed every step forward I tried to take resulted to 3 steps backward. Particularly when I had the car painted about 4 years ago. My intention was to fix some body damage in the trunk lid and tail light panel and get the car looking nicer to keep my interest alive and focused in the project. The shop totally fubar'd the paint and after 2 return trips over a 3 month period to fix errors which created new ones the shop won out as I finally decided it wasn't worth the risk taking it back to them to fix anything again. I thought about suing them for the repair cost but after looking at the work contract I saw where they were not liable for any damage the car received. I tried many times to get a refund on the job, even a partial refund, but no luck there either, the contract clearly stated they were not responsible for anything more than correcting their mistakes themselves, no refunds, and it further limited the scope of that to what the shop determined to be their mistakes. Live and learn. Anyway, I noticed at the time that the quarter end caps seemed a little crooked. That was the least of my worries compared to other problems they created so I overlooked it to focus on more serious issues.

Fast forward to today. I'm contemplating the difficulty level of making custom tail light lenses to fit the '67 Cougar light housings I have (a.k.a. Shelby tail lights), and I'm looking over the panel on my car to get an idea of what I'd have to do to get the look I'm going for. I'm judging the shape and size of the metal lip surrounding the light openings in the panel when I start to see why the end caps looked crooked. I make informal measurements using the width of my finger and it becomes clear something isn't right about the taillight panel itself. Those @*$&% IDIOTS welded in the replacement panel crooked! I couldn't look at it any more. My frustration will have subsided enough by tomorrow that I can take a tape measure and see just how far out of whack the panel is, but my guess is the right side is roughly 1/4" higher than the left, or maybe it's the left that is 1/4" too low, I'll have to figure out which side isn't where it's supposed to be when I start getting accurate measurements but either way the thing ain't right! The only thing keeping me sane about it is that I plan on filling the light openings and cutting new ones for the Shelby lights anyway, so I can make the new openings level with the car even if the panel isn't perfectly straight. I know 1/4" isn't much, but it's just one more thing the shop didn't do right and it got me hot all over again.

Ok, I feel better now, I just needed to vent for a minute. :p

·
Registered
765 Posts
Jeez Rickmaan. A 1/4 inch :eek: OMG! Get the uzi and get down there! I've never seen anything so shoddy! Those RAT Bstards!

Or, you might be taking this just a little too seriously. I doubt Ford got things that close on original production, and if it took 3 years for you to notice what the issue really was............

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
}:| }:| }:| Man I wish I could strangle some people or actually run them over with your mustang and let the car get some payback as well. Good luck with the repairs

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I did say that 1/4" isn't much. And it's not that this one thing is so bad, it's that it was just one more thing that was off. If this were the only issue I probably wouldn't have thought much of it but seeing it just brought up all the frustration I went thru back when I was fighting with them over the 2" thick bondo on the trunk lid, the crooked body line sculpted in that layer of bondo, the lost hardware, the ding that wasn't in the door before they had it, the broken mirror, the overspray on the emblems which I asked be removed from the car to avoid that (and they charged me extra for), the overspray on the engine, the overspray in the interior, etc, etc, etc. It was a lot of money spent to make the car look better but ended up doing just the opposite. The reason it took so long to realize this one issue was because so many other issues were glaring at me, like trying to see a penlight right next to a 500 watt halogen work lamp. All things considered I know this is a minor issue and it can be dealt with, I just wanted to blow off some steam so I could address the problem calmly. I can't do that with my wife, she thinks my obsession with my 'stang is odd enough as it is, so I thought I'd share it here :p
Now that I think of it, this is the closest they came to getting anything right! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
"....not responsible..."? Of course they are responsible. Who else would be responsible for bad work or damage?

If you wanted to invest the time you could still sue them for "breach of contract". It doesn't matter what disclaimer they put in the fine print, you have a right to get what you paid for. Many shops carry insurance for just this situation but don't want to make the claim. Small claims court is cheap and easy, but you need to check the time limit on filing vs. accepting the work. If the contract is "open ended" you may still be able to recover. If nothing else you have a chance to make their lives as miserable as they did yours. ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
My post was intended tongue in cheek. I'd be upset too, but not to the point of a meltdown. Life's to short and coronary's come much too easily! ;)

Rickmaan said:
Well I did say that 1/4" isn't much. And it's not that this one thing is so bad, it's that it was just one more thing that was off. If this were the only issue I probably wouldn't have thought much of it but seeing it just brought up all the frustration I went thru back when I was fighting with them over the 2" thick bondo on the trunk lid, the crooked body line sculpted in that layer of bondo, the lost hardware, the ding that wasn't in the door before they had it, the broken mirror, the overspray on the emblems which I asked be removed from the car to avoid that (and they charged me extra for), the overspray on the engine, the overspray in the interior, etc, etc, etc. It was a lot of money spent to make the car look better but ended up doing just the opposite. The reason it took so long to realize this one issue was because so many other issues were glaring at me, like trying to see a penlight right next to a 500 watt halogen work lamp. All things considered I know this is a minor issue and it can be dealt with, I just wanted to blow off some steam so I could address the problem calmly. I can't do that with my wife, she thinks my obsession with my 'stang is odd enough as it is, so I thought I'd share it here :p
Now that I think of it, this is the closest they came to getting anything right! :rofl:

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
she thinks my obsession with my 'stang is odd enough
I think we all agree with her!
You certainly have acquired some contagious sick obsession my friend!
Please keep away from us so we won't catch it! OOPS! too late! We've all got it! hehehe...

write it off as a bad experience and move on with what you got ... one day you will get even ...without the grey hairs...

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sometimes venting helps one's mental state even though it doesn't change anything!
Life is short, I would move on and learn from this experience. Was this shop
recommended? Do they typically do high quality work? Was he low bidder?
I worked at a body shop one year when I was laid off. Never would have recommended
that shop to anyone, even an enemy!
As for being obsessed with your Mustang tell your wife she should be happy you're not
obsessed with gambling or other things that mey be disagreeable!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I think I have told my story of my bodyshop nightmare before......Anyways lets just say that the owner took my money and put an addition onto his house with it(meanwhile my pro street cuda project just sat in his shop for two years) He was behind on all his bills so he filed chapter 11 and i had to get the cops to go with me and recover my cuda project! I had over 10K into that car and ended up selling it for a measly 3.5K. meanwhile he has reopened another shop under a different name and legally I can't touch him! Plus he sold his house before I could levy a lein against it. So if you can sue these screwups that worked on your car(DO IT!)

Dave

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ditto on the body shop horror! I lost about $5500 to a shady shop, I ended up not being able to recover money without spending equal amounts of money. Sometimes you have to suck it up and move on or do something illegal like drop off a Molotov cocktail (not recommended!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts