Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Rant

614 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Nick66 
#1 ·
Well, I know it could be a lot worse, but something really pi..ed me today.

While trying to park the Stang, I had to steer rather hard several times.
At some point Ive heard a low sound, that just wasnt right. Then trying to steer again, Ive noticed that something wasnt right and steering was odd.

After the first shock and a few moments trying to figure out what it was, weve noticed that the power steering lowering bracket (Ive got headers) had broken!
The base was still in place, but the part that was welded to the base (which holds the PS cylinder) was hanging down. So this of course meant that the PS wasnt working properly anymore.
/forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Well, again, I guess it could have been a lot worse and Ive really expected it to be some worse problem, when I first noticed that something was wrong.
But it still sucks. I have to get it welded. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

And all this happens on the first sunny/dry day for two weeks.
First time Ive got the Stang out for three weeks and this happens! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
Now I have to get it fixed ASAP, since the good weather might be gone again, pretty soon... .

Talking about good quality parts.
Sorry, but I just had to vent...! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
You might inquire of the person who repairs the bracket if they have some suggestions for strengthening it...there are ways and I recommend that you look into it to avoid repetitions in the future. This issue was one reason I opted to go with JBA's in the D-coder. I remember the spacers and wrap-around brackets I made for my old street racer and guess I've gotten lazy in my old age *G*

I'd suggest having a competent fabricator completely re-design the bracket to take into account the change in leverage point and angle...they'll figure it out..

Good luck!

#3 ·
Yeah, thanks for the advice. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
My mechanic/friend has some ideas for strenghtening it a bit.

It definately was no fun, and I am lucky that I didnt screw up the PS cylinder some way, when driving with the broken bracket... . Dont want it to happen again.

#4 ·
I am lucky that I didnt screw up the PS cylinder some way, when driving with the broken bracket... . Dont want it to happen again.

Yes, very lucky....the hoses would've kept it from dropping but, as the bracket bent and finally failed, a lot of angular stress was put on the rod, especially at the end where it's only 1/2" or so. Check the rod carefully for any bending, especially at the end where the threads are, as well as for any scratching of the chromed surface...either can be a real nuisance in the future...

#5 ·
Yes, I know. I thought the same about the stress/bending that might hurt the cylinder.
I hope everything is ok.
So far it looks like I wont be able the check it out properly though, as I dont have a lift and will try to get the bracket re installed in my garage... .
Will have to check it later then.

Thanks again.

#6 ·
OK, thanks to the welding skills and the welder of my uncle, I got the bracket fixed.
Only one side of that darn thing was welded, and it was beautifully broken.

I got both sides welded now, and even though it dosent look too pretty, it should last! (keeping my fingers crossed).
Alredy put it back on and everything should be fine... . /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ill check the PS cylinder as soon as I get it on a lift.

#7 ·
Cool! Thanks for the update...

Aren't uncles great?? Especially the ones with welders...*G*

Once you start driving again, check the frame attachment of the bracket occasionally; even if the bracket stays together, the fastening points on the frame can go, because of the increased angular stresses....

Good luck!

#8 ·
Well Pat, you keep on scaring me, eh? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

This bracket has been in place since november 2001 I think.
Of course I dont use it as a daily driver, so there hasnt been too much stress for the frame by now.

Let me just say that I hope that it will last! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks for the advices... . /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

#10 ·
OK, I should be safe then. I only run 195 tires on the Stang! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

By the way, I guess another reason that might have caused the bracket to crack (so early), is that Ive had a few (ground) impacts on it back when I still had those VERY low front springs.
I think that might have weakened an alredy crap part even more... .

The clearance is way better now, so I hope I wont have much trouble in the future.
Though those 4-6 inches of ground clearance that I have now, aint that much either... . /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.