Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start by saying that this car is worth the most to a collector and that if you want a 1968 390 fastback and don't care about one that is probably the first one made in 68 then you can probably get a better car for less money somewhere else. So please don't leave a post saying that I am asking too much because I already assume that I might be. I am torn about selling this car. I may be asking too much and I may be asking too little. I at least know that in a few years from now that my price will have appeared to be low. This is the 9th car ever made in 1968. That means that is probably either the earliest or second earliest 68 Mustang of any model built in existence with the earliest being in the Ford museum. The others have more than likely been wrecked or trashed by now. I realize that being the 9th 68 doesn't make it any better than the last 68 made therefore this car is mainly for those of you that attach an intrinsic value to the first of any collectible made like I do. It's really just an irrationale concept in reality unless it's a Van Gogh painting or something else made by some other very old dead guy that virutally give his stuff away when he was alive. Here's the info. 1968 Fastback 390 GTA, ps, pbd, fold down seat, deluxe lite green interior, tilt/swing away steering wheel, floor console with optional warning lite package, overhead map lite, tachometer, turn signal hood, optional hood stripe package, blacked out tail lite panel, C stripe, air conditioning, C6 automatic transmission, 325 open differential, argent GT wheels. It has the original Blue and Yellow California license plates, the paint is the original lite green color and is very faded, the interior is old and ugly, the engine compartment is dirty and old looking. It has been sitting for 6 years and as of today the motor runs very smooth with no lifter noise upon start up or piston slap. It does smoke slightly however this may go away. I haven't tested the transmission yet so the overall mechanical condition is yet to be determined however I can safely say that this car coud probably be a local daily driver however if you wanted to drive very far or very long I woud rebuild the motor and basic mechanical. The car has 104k original miles on it and as anyone that knows these 390 cars you can easily get over 150k out of them but it will probably smoke all the way there from 100k on, therefore just restore the car and be done with it. At least the drive train has been determined to be an easly rebuildable stock untouched core. The body is in extremely good condition with no accidents and it does have the typical extremely minimal California rust spots in the lower corners of the door etc. The car is located in Southern California. Please amail me only as I do not look at this site often and want to respond to any constructive and relevant questions ASAP. It also has the original door tag and original buck tag. Price $22,500 My email is [email protected] Thanks for looking.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Well; being as we are being picky .
GTA was ONLY used in 1967 Mustangs (and 66/67 Fairlanes)
The dark grey tail light panel was a 1967 option
Original Ca. plates would have been BLACK & YELLOW

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
That's kind of like asking "How do you know its a 390 car?"

It states it right there in the VIN. Not much reason to explain that either. :p ::

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
I read the ad. You just didn't understand my reply to you.

I was saying that since he didn't post the vin, you might as well ask "how do you know its a 390 car?".

The answer to that question is just as obvious as the answer to your initial question.

Bottom Line...This sounds like a great car and in its unrestored original paint would be a great project.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Kevin;
Do you miss your "S" code vert?
Someone was using photo's of your car on E-Bay last week with a buy now of $12,500.00!
Boy you got out before the bottom dropped.
Just kidding, it had to have been a scam.

·
Registered
745 Posts

It states it right there in the VIN. Not much reason to explain that either. :p ::
I guess since we are nit-picking I will also add to this thread.....Just because the vin # is "9" doesn't mean it was the 9'th built. It was the 9'th car "sceduled" for build at that particular plant,and there were more than 1 plants assembling Mustangs. Vin #109 could have been built before it because of options / special equipment.......

·
Registered
5,066 Posts

I guess since we are nit-picking I will also add to this thread.....Just because the vin # is "9" doesn't mean it was the 9'th built. It was the 9'th car "sceduled" for build at that particular plant,and there were more than 1 plants assembling Mustangs. Vin #109 could have been built before it because of options / special equipment.......
This is the POINT I was getting at.....apparently too subtle for some....*heh*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts