Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at both of the local "classic" car dealers today just to see what they had. First of all, both were transitioning from old Detroit iron to more modern German machines. This has me worried since CA is becoming a real tough place to own a vintage car. Do they know something?

Anyway, this one place had a very rare 69 Mustang Grande coupe. They are actually becoming more desirable lately. The car had a hood scoop with no badges, but had the italic 351 badges on the fenders under the "Mustang" script, which is characteristic of a non-hood scoop car. The hood was striped with 70 Mach 1 stripes. The deluxe interior had 70 deluxe seats but did have the proper 69 door panels and the "Grande" badge on the passenger side dash. The wheels appeared to be a later vintage Mustang (71-73?) with trim rings and huge dog dish hubcaps with Ford Motor Company lettered around the perimeter. The crowning touch was the front air dam and the rear wing taken right off a Mach 1. The car was red with black vinyl roof, stripes, air dam and wing. This fine example of the rare Grande was only $8,995 asking. These were the same guys who had a 302 powered 69 "Mach 1" a while back. Gives the hobby a bad name.

·
Registered
277 Posts
speaking of giving the hobby a bad name, i was at a show just south of houston on saturday where there were no less than two mustangs that claim to be K-code cars and most certainly were NOT!

in all fairness, i didn't speak to the owner of the 1st so all that i did hear is heresay. apparently however, the 'A' on the fender was stamped over with a 'K' and he admitted that a previous owner did this (i looked and it was most certainly an A stamped over). however, all his displays advertised it as a K model. yes, the title says K but it didn't roll off the assembly line with a K in the VIN...

another guy had a plain old C-Code. so it said on the fender apron and the door tag yet his display said "rare K-Code model" and had all the production numbers for K codes.

come on, you might be able to fool a chevy guy who couldn't give two &%*! to begin with. but the people who are going to take notice and look at the VIN are the mustangers and they're going to call these frauds in a hartbeat.

-aaron

Houston, TX - 67 Fastback in restoration. A-code, C-4, 9" Traction-Loc rear.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Hah...

My favorite "clone" car that was done fairly well was a 1968 Mustang coupe that had been made into a 1968 GT-500 King of the Road.

The car looked great at first glance but then I noticed, upon opening the door, that the door tag was not "Shelby American" but rather, the standard FoMoCo. ALSO, this example also had the optional 1967 Mustang brushed aluminum dash bezels, (not burled wood) and the speedo was a 120, not a 140. A convincing clone yes... Complete down to the paint job, taillights, deck wing and all...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Glad to hear the Grande's are moving up in line a I just finished redoing mine, no Mach 1 parts or scoops though..Just according to the book..R code 351w
Don

D .G.Cudmore

1 - 4 of 4 Posts