Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting a ratchett shifter that I bought without any instructions, in a Ford project with a 68 C4 from a 68 Mustang. Looking under the car should the cable be mounted ahead of the trans, shift lever & push the gear shiftlever towards the rear of the car. This is the only way that I can get the trans gears to match the ratchet shifter gear pattern. Can any body shed some light with their experience with routing the cable on a ratchet shifter? There is also the problem of not much to bolt a bracket so the cable can push to the rear direction on the car.Seams I remember years ago that I used the tailshaft bolts to put the bracket onto and then mounted the cable there to push towards the front of the car. to move the gear shift lever from park to low. But it won't work this time? Also isn't all the way BACK with the C4 trans gear shift lever the PARK position? Again this is a mustang 68 that had originally a stock floor shifter with the gear shift lever pointing upward.

·
Registered
680 Posts
What brand shifter do you have? The Hurst that I have, the cable goes out the fromt, and have a B&M that the cable goes out the back....

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
If you go to the manufacturer's website, they most likely have instructions for download...

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
does this help ... ?

http://home.kc.rr.com/garagesaleinc/Shifter/DSC01734-small.jpg

http://home.kc.rr.com/garagesaleinc/Shifter/DSC01735-small.jpg

This is a B&M Mega Shifter. Cable points to the front and wraps around underneath.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a Hurst shifter. I believe the problem is that I need to have the gear shift lever pointing downward (Like in a column shift application) instead as I have it with the lever pointing upward as it does in a floor shift application. Then the Park position would be all the way to the front of the car & the shifter could pull(like it does) backwards from the Park to low gears.? May have to take it to a transmission shop & have this switched? Any trans guys out there?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have the instruction sheet for a Hurst shifter laying on my desk.....
If you need any information, including part numbers, e-mail me. My address is in my Bio.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts