Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have torn the interior out of the back of my car, down to the metal. I have emptied the trunk, even the mat. I have taken the trim out of the entire back of the car. I have tied down the one wire that runs from the trunk along the quarter on that side. I have taken the vent mechanism off.....and APART! I have tightened every nut/screw/bolt I can find and still there is a rattle, like metal hitting metal when I drive over rough ground or road. I am left with only the possibility of the exhaust hangers, the leaf springs or the sway bar. The shocks are tight and there's nothing in the hole. I'm hoping that its the linkage that hooks my rear sway bar to the frame. It looks fine, but I need to get under there to make sure. I hope I find it, because its making me a little crazy.....along with this 97 degree weather! Stay tuned..........

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Check those fender bolts and front and rear valance. My car
sounds like a shopping cart on rough street *G*

·
Registered
564 Posts
Check the emergency brake lines where they bend through the frame rails... found that one on mine and fixed it. They are close to the floor board and will click against it if not secure.

·
Registered
322 Posts
could be under your seats. I have had a car with a deep end socket come off while PO was pulling the seats. He never bothered to try and remove it so the socket would roll around underneath the seat perch. UGH!

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you're willing to try anything????
Get a large person to enter / exit the rear seat and listen for the noise (rattle) as they do so.....my '66 coupe had an aggravating sound....that's how I discovered it...it was the creaking front bushing in the leaf spring.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a aftermarket duel exhaust system on my 69 Stang and it still rattles....when the tail pipes heat up they rattle against the tie down bracket...you may want to check that out... Anyone have any good suggestions on a fix that I can do? Thnx

G

·
Have you checked your brakes? I'm a newbie on the scene, but I just changed disc brake calipers on my son's '73. Bushings were worn out letting the caliper rattle at bumps. I don't know if you have disc brakes on back, but I have also had shoes come loose on other cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts