Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Thanks to vamustang, I have some great 69 buckets to install. I wanted to pull their tracks, clean them up, and reinstall them.

Just wanted more experienced people's thoughts on rattle canning them vs. powder coating vs. hardened chassis black at a local car shop....

How does rattle can hold up in this application?

Thanks....

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I've had my seats out (buckets and rear) on various occasions. Doing over the years a lot of DIY projects, not organized big $ resto.

Buckets. Removed and modified tracks to get greater rear travel. Cleaned up and rattle can painted.

Remove to put 69 seat backs on with head rests and repair seat cushion inserts.

Remove buckets and install new carpet.

Removed driver bucket to work under dash.

Couple points: First interior parts aren't subject to weather conditions, hopefully don't even get wet. Second no one sees seat tracks. Last I rattle can painted the tracks about 25 years ago when I modified for more travel. When I removed driver seat last summer to work under the dash the tracks looked like as I recall they did 25 years ago when I cheap rattle can painted them.

IMO (I'm soft spoken as you can see...LOL) get them powder coated if it makes youi feel good!

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
The trick is proper cleaning. Once you have them clean enough, inside and out, rattle can will do a fine job. Powder coat is overkill.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow I'd never have even thought of anything else BUT a rattle can for that. It's completely out of the weather, hidden under a seat. A coat of paint over a clean part will last forever.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Rustoleum semi flat. Part # 7777. Put it on thick - several coats just to the point of runs. Allow 24 hours to dry.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
When I had the original seats in my 68 I wire brushed them as much as I could and then shot them with "Tremclad" spray bombs which is somewhat like Rustoleum.
As stated earlier it should last as long as you own the car.
Most upscale restoration shops sand blast and use a high grade enamel. From what I've seen I think O/E seat frames are dipped.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you guys start with the grey or red primer?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks kechke, anyone else have an opinion on what type of primer or if primer is needed? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Chrome plating FTW!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'ld be against powder coating. It is relative thick and the powder coater would have to mask the areas where the bearings ride otherwise the bearings would not roll easily or tracks slide without much drag. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, they look damned good. Did you buy new springs? This seat was missing the biggest of the three springs... The others feel good, just light rust....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts