Vintage Mustang Forums banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I’m not butthurt now but I was last week when I had my yearly prostate exam...

Painting a car the right way and cheap just don’t go together. It‘s common to see first timer sticker sticker shock. And that’s if you have the place and equipment. I just don’t see the value of a short term rattle can when for just a bit more you can get a cheap local job and be done. If he’s going to take the time to cut and buff the rattle can might as well leave it on as long as it lasts and enjoy driving the car.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Liz

Lizer,,,,, yea Ii said in my post that the information being put out is confusing. For the crackpots who are going to read this and say..."youve been told youre going to do what you want" I dont plan on doing this after reading the posts i got here. However i am saying that this information is being put out by a reputable company which confuses those of us who are new to the hobby. When I said it was my friend who told me this info at least 14 people jumped down my throat, and attacked his credibility so I was interested to see how those people respond to A large company like eastwood saying the same thing.
Once again i drank the kool-aid im onboard sand everything down to bare metal.....
However for that were quick to respond earlier, I wanted them to see where information was coming so the next time someone asks a question maybe they will be a little more understanding of where the questions originate and do a little better job at explaining.
Im still a little foggy but Lizer I will pm you with any questions
Eastwood is saying it’s ok to spray over lacquer and enamel. They didn’t say uncatalyzed spray paint. That’s what I’m trying to tell you. Nothing they’ve said is wrong.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Soooooo no one is going to comment on post 147, where Eastwood claims their epoxy primer does the exact thing that I was chastised on here not to do?
The enamel they reference is catalyzed automotive enamel. It’s typically one of the least expensive paints. Catalyzed means you add a second component as a hardener. Also known as 2k paint.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Vegas,,, the value is like you said so I can enjoy the car, but also I am learning allot through the rattle can process, Im learning how to block sand, Im learning how far away 12 inches is ( the distance the gun should be from the panel), Im learning about the 50 percent overlay. These lessons are important its all practice. And its fun
some of you guys do this for a living so it may have lost its wow factor, but for me everyday is a new learning opportunity. It may sound sill but yesterday is the first time I actually masked off any part of the car, it was tedious and boring but by the time i actually got to pull the trigger on the spray can it was fun delayed gratification. I sprayed the whole car multipld coats in one night because couldnt stop.... Its fun, hell Im almost 50 years old and considered volunteering at a body shop so i could learn the correct techniques and because I enjoy it so much

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
The enamel they reference is catalyzed automotive enamel. It’s typically one of the least expensive paints. Catalyzed means you add a second component as a hardener. Also known as 2k paint.
Gotcha ok,,,,,, and the spray paint that I used is uncatalyzed. Had I used rattle can automotive paint then i might have been able to get away with this technique, but since it wasnt I have to strip everything down to bare metal.
Does epoxy color matter, My ultimate end color is going to be silver blue should I use white epoxy primer?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Gotcha ok,,,,,, and the spray paint that I used is uncatalyzed. Had I used rattle can automotive paint then i might have been able to get away with this technique, but since it wasnt I have to strip everything down to bare metal.
Does epoxy color matter, My ultimate end color is going to be silver blue should I use white epoxy primer?
Any spray paint is going to be uncatalyzed (it doesn't matter if it says "automotive") unless it's a spray bomb where you pull a grenade-like pin out of the can and it mixes the paint and hardener, and then you have to spray it. But that's not what you have.

For silver blue I'd use gray. The white epoxy doesn't cover as well and it messes with you a little bit.

161 - 167 of 167 Posts