Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two day I have been having a rattle noise coming from one of my front wheels. I only hear it when I slow down and brake, the brakes work fine. The noise is like a loose wheel or a rock rolling around.
Any ideas, could it be a brake problem or wheel bearings.
This is my daily driver

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Drum brakes? I'd pull the bearing and check it, just to be sure. But that's just me and I'm paranoid.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
What kind of brakes do you have? Wheels? Hubcaps? etc.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I had a similiar problem with a '67 hubcap.

There is really only one way to fix this! Upgrade to new 17" aluminum wheels. :)

At least that's what someone told my wife....

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Loose wheel bearings would not make a rattling noise. Probably the hubcab but if you have drums I would pull the drims and look inside. If you have disks then check the clips that hold the pads in place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my first car ('66 coupe) I had rattles from two sources: one was a pebble trapped behind the hubcap. The second was the center emblem of the hubcap got loose and I had to put a cardboard shim in between the tab and emblem. I think I broke one of the tabs trying to make it tight. Take your hubcaps off (if you have 'em) and shake.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
anti-rattle clip missing on Granada disc conversion?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Midlife said:
If you have hubcaps, perhaps a pebble is behind the hubcap? You'll only hear it at low speeds.
Once again you found the answer.
I didn't drive the car to work yesterday, didn't want my wheel falling off figured I look into it on the weekend. Then last night I checked the board and saw your answer, today I got up early and popped the hubcap off and there it was the smallest pebble that made a lot of noise and gave me a sleepless night. So thanks guys.
Ps. I do have hubcap, a nice set of 66 spinners (with the little slots for pebbles to fall into)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts