Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that I have been working with RCI to come up with a low cost, drop in, fuel tank for early Mustangs. Well.. it's finished and on its way to me. Watch for the next update.
Tank specs:
22 gal, foam filled, aluminum construction, #8AN supply, #6AN return, #8AN vent, pick-up sump, flush style aircraft filler, fuel sender. Retail: $350

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,398 Posts
Sounds good to me, hurry with the pics!

G

·
can you specify part # & stuff, i need one and had spoken with some one at rci but never followed up because i lost the persons info. can you give me more info , thanks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiyas,
If you can wait a little, I need to approve the prototype. Then, the product will be released with an RCI P/N. You will order direct from RCI. My design work was donated to the Mustang community so I will be out of the picture once the product is released. It should arrive in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been careful not to use the word "fuel cell".
Fuel cell, to me, means a blader in a container. What I have designed is a tank, that would be OK for use in some sanctions, but is not at all a "fuel cell".

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
how much lower does this setup hang below than the stock setup??? I have seen so many fuel cells and aftermarket tanks that are scant inches from the ground.....

randy

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tank depth is 8", 2" will be below the trunk mounting point, 6" above.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
RT,

I trying to do this from memory (good luck, huh?), but I thought that the original tank was 7 inches deep, with the back end (nearest valence) slanting up to 5 inches.
So why only 2 inches deep below trunk line? The trunk is useless anyway?
And why are you teasing us without a pic? Couldn't wait, huh??
So many questions and no dam pic...

BossBill

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The RCI/RT tank is square. It is longer,wider and less deep than the standard 20 gal RCI tank.
The tank is supported by the mounting flanges that are part of the trunk sheet metal. The design I came up with has the alumn tank supported by the same sheet metal. The bottom of the aluminum tank has 2" angle. So, when the alum tank goes in place, 2" of the tank bottom is below the sheet metal flange and 6" is above.

Sorry about the tease.. I have been working on this a while and I wanted to get a feel for interest in the product.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,398 Posts
Well hurry up for Pete's sake! I've got the RussStang gutted now, its the perfect time!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wondered where you've been,obviously working on this tank project.Your timing is eery,check the post about gas tank litigation just a few spaces down this page.Let's see a picture!!!!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Ya, usually those guys are around 25x27x14 (ok, that's 22).
You say "the bottom of the aluminum tank has 2" angle." So it slopes to the rear?
Poor mans surge tank? I gotta see it. Gotta see it. And the price is right on! Plus you managed to
do all the fittings I needed. Is that a Ford sender too? (insert panting here)

Gotta see it, cause the Raven has a big hole where tank needs to go and I've been waiting.
In fact I've kept the tailight panel off so I could access this area better!

Now that 1x2x.125 rectangular tube crossbrace I placed across the rear, under the stock rear crossmember -- say Pinto Please)
will have something pretty to protect!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tank has a seperate sump on the flat bottom. The 2" angle runs all the way around the tank bottom, forming a flange, that sits on top the stock sheet metal flange. The prototype sender is GM. I will have to look into FORD senders. I just bought all my Autometer Ultralight gauges so it didn't matter to me. The tank can be installed from inside the truck so get that tailight panle on.

PICs as soon as it arrives!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hiyas Ned,
I been in WA for a week. That added to me being part of the historical server purge to keep me absent.
I go take a look at the litigation thread.
Lets pass tort reform.. You sue, you lose, you pay winners costs!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts