Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the white rubber between the two glass pieces cracked the first time I put top up. Now after about 3 uses the white rubber is split in half and space is between gass - rain can get in. Is this common and how can I fix it?

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
That must be one cheap top (window) ! My top goes up & down at least 100 times a year , and I never unzip the window. It's a Robbins top .

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... I never unzip the window...
Unzipped - as in rubber tore? Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I am totally confused - there is no zipper on this top. Should it have one?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, inside the car where the window meets the top it should have a zipper so you can lower the window while the top is up. My 68 has the folding glass window and it was put in in 1980. The rubber joint you are talking about is actually a silicone bead, if it is split then you can cut it out with a razor blade. After cutting it out use masking tapeon the outside of the glass, leaving about 1/4" of glass showing inside the tape edge. mask the top and bottom of the seam. go inside the car and put some clear package tape across the joint from one side of the car to the other. This will actually hold the glass in place, then go back outside and using clear silicone and a caulking gun fill the seam with silicone. while it is wet use a rubber squegee or your finger laid flat across the seam and wipe the silicone smooth. once the silicone starts to tack up pull the tape from the outside of the glass. leave the inside until it is dry. once the silicone is cured, about 24-48 hours you can remove the tape from inside and start lowering the top again. I have done mine twice in the four years that I have had the car, but the top has been up and down well over 1,000 times. the silicone holds for about two years before it starts splitting and you have to do it again. This is a cheaper way of fixing the window because if you take it to a top shop they will replace the window and that costs money. The silicone is only about $4.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.