Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a deluxe steering wheel that I am refurbishing. My current plan is to sandblast the spokes and re-chrome it. The wood-grain wheel itself has been removed and will be replaced later.

My question is can anyone recommend a product that I can use to re-chrome the spokes?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Hello All,

I have a deluxe steering wheel that I am refurbishing. My current plan is to sandblast the spokes and re-chrome it. The wood-grain wheel itself has been removed and will be replaced later.

My question is can anyone recommend a product that I can use to re-chrome the spokes?

View attachment 783937

View attachment 783939
Hello All,

View attachment 783937

View attachment 783939
Hi, When people say sand blast I cringe. Eastwood sells a bluish color rust remover that's a very light acid. I would hit it with enough of that product or some other product put on a rag big enough to cover the complete wheel then saturate it with the product. then lightly sand with various grit sandpapers til you can get it to a nice finish, finish your finish up with a green pad again of varying grades until you get it down smoother and final finish with 0000 steel wool. remember to take the least amount of metal and finish on the metal as possible away. The 0000 steel wool will work on windshields it's very soft with soft pressure. Then take it in and have a reputable Chromer do his magic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cut/tore off the cracked and falling apart plastic wheel. I am hoping to replace with cherry or padauk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That will look nice.
Plating and woodworking are way out of my skillset. Unfortunately I don't have anything I can add to help, but will be following to learn.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
You can’t really rechrome it properly yourself. It requires specialized equipment. There are companies that do exceptional work, but they aren’t cheap. The process requires removing the existing chrome down to the base metal. Repairing any pits. Nickel plating the metal, then applying typically three layers of chrome. Was the original chromed, or just polished or brushed stainless?

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
36,682 Posts
Too late now, but Naval jelly or Lime-A-Way toilet cleaner would have removed 95% of that corrosion.

Chrome plating can be done, of course the brushed finish is tricky. The rim can be replaced with real wood.

By the time all that's done you'll have much more in it than a replacement wheel, though, and it won't really be "original" anymore.

A bare replacement runs about $250. Plating will cost more than that.

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
I have the center section already rechromed. It was part of a wood wheel display. I will look for it today, and post some pictures.

Yes, it is for sale.

·
Registered
36,682 Posts
You can’t really rechrome it properly yourself. It requires specialized equipment. There are companies that do exceptional work, but they aren’t cheap. The process requires removing the existing chrome down to the base metal. Repairing any pits. Nickel plating the metal, then applying typically three layers of chrome. Was the original chromed, or just polished or brushed stainless?
The 65-67 deluxe steering wheel spokes were chrome-plated steel, and the faces brushed. Then the "wood" rim was moulded on as a single piece of plastic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Would you share with whom, or how, you are replacing the wood rim?

I have a GT, I want a deluxe woodgrain wheel with a interior color matched rim if that is possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you share with whom, or how, you are replacing the wood rim?

I have a GT, I want a deluxe woodgrain wheel with a interior color matched rim if that is possible.
I’ll be replacing it myself, following the same kind of process listed in the series of posts here:

DIY Wood Steering Wheel: Part 1 Introduction, Design & Prototype : How-To Library : Ford First

I am now thinking of alternating cherry and maple, possibly with ebony in the middle. The cherry will add a reddish color to match the car and the maple will add some pop!

What is the interior color you want to match?

·
Dimples
5,964 Posts
Is rechroming really necessary in this case? I restored one with spokes in similar condition, and with some elbow grease with a scotchbrite and fine steel wool, it cleaned up really well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is rechroming really necessary in this case? I restored one with spokes in similar condition, and with some elbow grease with a scotchbrite and fine steel wool, it cleaned up really well.
I have some Simichrome polish coming for the three pronged horn ring, we’ll see how that does on the wheel spokes as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts