Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: insurance w/18 year old driving a vintage Mustang Convertible!?

(Notice the Georgia State Bird (Mosquito) in the photo! LOL!) http://www.geocities.com/the100acrewood/Mustang.jpg

·
Registered
858 Posts
should be less than mine...i pay 104/month on my 90GT...thats only liability of course....and hey..im 17! lol

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
If it's in your parent's name and you are only an occasional driver, it's pretty cheap. But, if in your name and you are the principal driver to and from work...your life is basically over as you will have to work and work some more to pay for the exorbant fee they charge. Some young people on here have actually had to sell their stang because of the insurance costs. It's kinda ridiculous because if you actually own one of these you usually baby it, if it's the only car you have, to take care of it and also because it is a vintage vehicle. Good luck, I've found state farm ins. to be the most reasonable here in alabama, but my 18 yr old and almost 16 yr old are both on my ins. and their vehicles are still in my name until they finish school or leave home one.

G

·
0 Posts
My insurance on the 66 is $33/mo. I'm 17 on my parents policy and we've all got perfect driving records. I've never even been pulled over. I'm in Florida and I have Nationwide Insurance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
it also depends on if you list it as a daily driver or just a "weekend" driver, which means not more than 2500 miles a year.. its not alot of miles to have but i don't know how far things are in georgia. in california, its not going to happen. the grocery store is a good mile to mile and half from me. So as a daily driver i would go under your parents. But if you don't want to do that.. i know i have seen quotes as little as 20 dollars a month on insurance on a mustang. Its because no turbo. thats a huge insurance risk. so you lucked out there

·
Registered
858 Posts
if u have anyone in the family thats in the military...i suggest going thru the military's car insurance...i think its called... USAA...a few friends of mine have it and theyve never been happier w\their insurance, cheap and very good about taking care of their people

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,573 Posts
USAA is for military officers and dependants of military officers IIRC and yes, their auto insurance rates are quite competetive. I had them for home and auto until 1997. At that time I bought a 67 year old house and before they would even consider underwriting the house they required that I completely remove all of the old knob and tube electrical wiring in the house and replace it with Romex (note: the electrical service was upgraded to circuit breakers by the PO and there was no issue with the electrical system). USAA underwriters actually wanted me to tear open all the walls and get the old wiring out!!! Not wanting to destroy my "new" house, I shopped around and found that Allstate was much more reasonable in their underwriting requirements and if I used them for home and auto, the auto portion was only several dollars more expensive than USAA. Needless to say I switched to Allstate and I haven't looked back.
As for an 18 year old male driver, with Allstate it's actually cheaper by about $400/year to have my son listed as a driver on the 67 Mustang (300+ horsepower) than to put him on the 87 VW convertible (90 horsepower). Go figure!!

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Insurance shouldn't be too bad. When I was 16 and drove my '66 V8 Coupe daily insurance was about $110/month with full coverage.

Now I am paying $197/month for my convertible, and $46/month for my '64.5 Coupe both with full coverage. Of course, multi-car discounts, good student discounts, and having an umbrella policy reduced both of those figures by about 20% total.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts