Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I plan to remove my engine and tranny from my 73 convertible so I can detail the engine bay. I bought this car off ebay as non-running with no history on the motor. I got it running fine without too much trouble and have put several thousand miles on it. I changed the camshaft when I got it because the original one was wiped. I never pulled it apart at that time to clean anything. My question is should I re-ring it and install new bearings now or just clean it up and stuff it back in? I am not completely clueless around engines but I have never delved quite so deeply before. Any help or hints on the re-bearing/re-ring procedure or any thoughts or advice in general is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Tom, I'd do just that, just in case you decide to do any mods in the future.

I had a mint running 71 351C-2V motor that never used a drop of oil and had great compression. So, thinking I was so slick, I just slapped on a set of 70 4V heads and an aftermarket cam. That damn motor had so much blow-by when I was done I had to run 20W50 or it would push oil out the dipstick. So, out it came, a quick pass with the Flex-Hone, a new set of rings and a fresh crank/bearings and it ran perfect.

A complete re-ring and bearing job will set you back only a couple hundred bucks. If the crank is even remotely questionable, get it turned. I would also inspect the heads while they are off. If you need any help, just drop me a PT.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hemi.

I think I'm going to give it a try. Will the bearing shells be marked if they are undersize or is the only way to tell to mic the crank?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Get this book:

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/UserDirs/motorbooks.com/coverimages/101934.jpg

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. That was one of last years Christmas presents. It is a great resource.

This year my wife is getting me a torque converter. She just doesn't know it yet! :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My wife just told me the Mastercard bill arrived today and mentioned something about sitting down before I read it. "Oh, has someone been using that card?" I asked. "A little bird maybe?" Then she reminded me that this is not a good week to be a little bird, and it's even more so for really big birds. I haven't looked yet, but I know it's close to $2000 (yeah, three zeros), which is kind of hard to schmooze away.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
TommyK said:
Thanks Hemi.

I think I'm going to give it a try. Will the bearing shells be marked if they are undersize or is the only way to tell to mic the crank?
Yes, the bearing shells will be marked with the undersize, the part number will look like MS1010PXX. The XX will be the undersize amount. If you see a Ford logo, you can pretty much count on them being standard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts