Discussion Starter #1
I got this in my e-mail today.
Thought maybe someone would want to read it
I don't have the originating e-mail sender
don't know if it is worth anything.

Subject: summer gas prices

THE FOLLOWING WAS SENT TO ME BY AN ECONOMIST WITHIN THE FUEL
INDUSTRY. ANOTHER ECONOMICS PROFESSOR AT CAL REITERATED THE
SAME LAST WEEK. I THINK IT IS WORTH TRYING.

I got this from a reliable source & the website listed is legit.
We heard today from a man who is very savvy about the economy,
namely, Clark Howard, and he says that the gas prices are going
to start going up again and will be high this summer-$2 and up.
We need to do whatever we can, and do it NOW!!!!

Gasoline Prices

This makes more sense than the don't buy gas on a certain day
routine that was going around last year's high Gasoline Prices!
Whoever started this has a good point. By now, you're probably
thinking gasoline priced at about $1.49 is cheap. Me too, as it
is now $1.58 for regular unleaded!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned
us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at less than
$1.50, we need to try an aggressive response. With the price of
gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take ACTION!

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is
if we don't buy it. But, (as the gas companies know full well,
and are counting on), that's not really a practical option since
we all have come to rely on our cars. But we CAN have an impact on
gas prices if we all act together.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, don't purchase
gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one),
namely EXXON and MOBIL.
You see, if they are not selling, they should be inclined, (i.e.,
"forced"), to reduce their prices. And, because of their size, and
hence market share, if they reduce their prices the other
companies
will too. (They would HAVE no choice!). Isn't that a "juicy"
prospect? But to have an impact, we need to reach literally
millions
of users. But it's doable!

am sending this note to 15 people. If each of you send it to
at least 10 more ...and those 10 send it to at least 10 more and
so
on, by the time the message reaches the sixth iteration, we will
have reached over one million consumers.
Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to
you, please pass this message on, or one you compose, to at least
10 more E-mail addresses.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW $1.28-
$1.29

AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1603896&a=12227378&p=44495546&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
73 351C C6 3.25 T-lock
Jesus is all the world to me!
Mustang's are just a Hobby
http://www.folksite.com/TFOB

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
i got the same email..... i dont buy my gas from them in the first place so i guess im fulfilling me deed to society *G*

'66 coupe resto in progress... IT NEVER ENDS

·
Registered
392 Posts
Typical chain mail urban legend great american gas out don't flash your lights at cars with no lights on because gang members will shoot you up sickos are leaving AIDS filled needles in movie theater seats cockroaches live in envelope glue rats piss on pepsi cans email.
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Oh did I mention this is all BS?? Look at the link below:
http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm

--------
Evan
67-5.0L
http://eyrules.com/mustang.html
http://eyrules.com/images/mustang/mustang1_smaller.jpg

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm with you... Its insane what gas costs now, I've only been driving for 3 1/2 years and I can remember getting mad when it broke a dollar. I spend upwards of $200 a month w/ my 2 cars and job, so anything that could possibly effect pricing at all I'm willing to try.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

G

·
0 Posts
haha how ironic, just last night u were complaining about gas and now suddenly here u are. hehe weird, but if it works all the better!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
LOL.. I'm always bellyaching about gas prices, I'm working on my bachelors in whining... Stupid gas, I need me a motorcycle!

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

G

·
0 Posts
For all you lucky enough to not live in the SF Bay area - Super unleaded (which keeps my engine from pinging) is $2.11 today, and will go up soon. There was a refinery fire in LA, and even though our gas doesn't come from there, the station owners are going to jack the prices up once again....

68 coupe - Soon to be daily driver (I hope!)

G

·
0 Posts
The real solution to the problem as I see it is using our heads and the resources that we have present. I am from a farming community in Nebraska and we have more corn than we know what to do with. The great part is we have 7 ethanol plants in our state, that takes corn and turns it into a great motor fuel. It is cleaner burning than regular fuel. It would make a great substitute for MTBE that is currently polluting many areas when it leaks from tanks. And besides getting paid a little over a dollar for a bushel of corn that costs well over that to produce is getting a little old.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Mayor Daley suggested that we all walk take public transit or bike to where we want to go.

Oh well...... But we could all drive a bit less and plan trips more wisely.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

G

·
0 Posts
First of all, without even bothering with the merit of the idea, it's a major accomplishment to get 10 or 20 people together to do something; forget about thousands or millions.

Secondly, gas prices are going to cost whatever the fuel companies can get, because everyone is beholden to an automobile. If one could get millions of people to boycott for, say, a year, it might have a temporary effect. Many other gas stations get their gas from Exxon anyway, in the same manner that grocery stores buy their generic foods from major producers and Sears supplies Kenmore appliances made by GE, Whirlpool, etc.

Finally, gas prices have yet to catch up with the REAL numbers that they would be, if you adjusted for inflation over the past 30 years. Gas prices in the early 80's were $1.20-$1.30; comparatively, the cost of a new car average was roughly half of what it is now (10k then vs 20k now). Same with food, housing, etc. Following this, gas should be in the neighborhood of $2.25 or more. In Europe and elsewhere around the world, they've been paying the true cost of gas for years.

As a poor person (I'm REALLY poor right now), I like having cheap gas just as much as the next guy. However, you want to dance, you got to pay the fiddler. Gasoline is a necessary evil if you choose to drive a car (at least for now), and lots of it if you choose to live in a manner where you have to drive many miles every day. It makes me laugh when people think we should go over there and bomb the Arabs for high gas prices or drill up the Arctic; the only real solution is to reduce the demand for gasoline. We (as a nation) think the world of the "free market" economy, so we should quit bellyaching when the free market doesn't go our way.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TennesseeCub on 04/25/01 08:20 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
I think that Gene is on the right track. While I know that we all need our cars to get us from work to home and back,LOL if we just drive a bit more wisely it would make a difference. If you could make your tank of gas just last 1 to 2 days longer, Imagine how your gas bill would drop. It would drop about 1 tank full a month. While I agree that this is only $20 dollars or so per person, things will really add up.
Surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/mustang/carsmall.jpg

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You have a good point. We pay much less for gas her in the States. Anywhere else they're paying a fortune. I remember in '99 when the gas prices were barely a $1 in Northern FL. But, I had just moved here from Japan, and the prices there were around $3 a gallon. I pretend that the gas is supposed to be that price. I enjoy driving and will continue to drive they way I do. Although, I am tempted to buy a dozen 5 gallon gas tanks and fill'em up and put them in the shed.

G

·
0 Posts
Here in the US we pay less for a reason and just because the other countries pay way more doesn't mean we should too. Some countries also use different fuels and some are as cheap as our regular gas so it is not like they are all using what we use.

I think the idea of boycotting the larger people could have an effect. They are quite large and exert allot of influence. If they were loosing business they would do something about it. They would find ways to get business back. But I don't think that it would happen this way because the companies work closely together and keep prices equal to a certain point. If we boycotted exxon they would lower their price below their competition. The consumer would go for the lower price. To make a long story short we would have a stable price point that all companies agree upon.

About the only thing we can do is to drive less. Or use vehicles that use less gas (I gotta get me a new cycle also) The law of supply and demand does play a role with price and gas is not exempt from this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was under the impression that the major gas companies supply the lower companies, just with a less refined product, just because it is too expensive for smaller companies to mine and refine their own oil. If this is the case, then this plan would never work!!

G

·
0 Posts
You say the only real solution is to decrease the demand for gasoline....Actually there is another. INCREASE the supply.

Now the only way to do this is to either have the arabs start producing more (fat chance) or lift restrictions on drilling within our own borders. I live near oil fields, and if the 25 years I have lived here, no spills. I say go drill in Alaska. the water table is frozen in some of the places they propose to drill, so even in the event of a spill, it couldnt mix into the water table, since it is frozen for many many feet(80 or so I think). JMHO..

Full Throttle
http://fullthrottle.batcave.net/fullthrottle.gif

G

·
0 Posts
I watch the commodities markets and compare current to what was going on a year and a half ago when all this started. Oil prices then were over $32.00 a barrel and gas was about $1.60 a gallon. Now oil is about $26.00 a barrel and gas is over $1.70. Go figure! Production costs decrease over time, so that isn't an issue. Wholesale price of unleaded regular is about $1.05 or so, and the rest is taxes and margin. None of it makes sense. In my estimation, increasing supply is the key. We need to boost exploration and production here to the point OPEC chokes on its surplus.

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
I don't get this. We all drive cars that do less than 20mpg and yet we complain about gas prices? My Dad over in England pays $7.50 a gallon, $50 to fill up his car! Here in the bay area I saw a chevron station selling (or trying to sell) premium at $2.31 a gallon!

Surely if we can't stand the gas prices we should buy something a bit more economical? Don't get me wrong, I love my stang and I'd pay $10 a gallon just for the pure excitment of driving it. But if your Stang is your daily driver and you complain about gas prices, you maybe need a smaller economical car...

Gas is cheap here compaired to Europe! I don't even look at the pump, I just fill it up and go. We all need it regardless of the cost! There's nothing we can do, just drop your pants and assume the position!

Thanks

Shaun

G

·
0 Posts
But production costs are the ENTIRE issue!!!

The KLINTON administration , through the EPA, have forced the oil companise to produce cleaner-burning fuel. From what I have seen, this is the biggest reason for the increase in costs.

Full Throttle
http://fullthrottle.batcave.net/fullthrottle.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts