Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the big day. I am going to get a welder. After much research the Lincoln 135 Plus seems to be just the ticket. It runs on 120 volts, and has variable speed and output. It is all set for gas shielding tanks.

Anybody have one of these? What are your thoughts and experiences?

Weldingmart has then for 539 or 604 with the cart. Shipping is included. :D

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I have a Millermatic 135, and the specs of the Lincoln are very similar. I think you've made a good choice and you'll be happy with it. I've never heard anything bad about them. Get the cart, makes moving it around and storing the tank easy. Parts for them should be readily available at most welding supply shops too (always a plus). Happy welding!

Almost forgot...get a auto-darkening helmet. It will make learning that much easier because you'll be able to see your work just before pulling the trigger. I wouldn't go back to a standard helmet again if I could help it.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Welding is serious fun aside from bundling up for protection even though it's 95 outside LOL.

Once you get a bottle of CO2/AR, you probably wont ever want to use that nasty flux core wire ever again!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey Gene, I am in the same boat! I am planning on getting the same welder around Christmas.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If that's the same model that says Nascar on the side, then it's a good one. I have one myself, errr lets say I bought it, used it, and now my dad had it and he's 600 miles away.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Forgot to add, I bought mine at home depot and it was only $350.00

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I too am in the market for a mig with gas and have done some research.
This welding forum i found said the low end Lincoln 120 welders were giving Lincoln a bad name. They can keep their price down for us entry level guys by using lower quality parts they put in them. (plastic rollers, cheaper transformer). Thus when they start to fail we complain that Lincoln sucks.
They sell lots of these Lincolns and they do have a warranty, sooo......I think it's still an good welder for home use.
The one i was looking at was the Hobart 135/145 for $599 Cdn with all the fittings and regulator and wire.
It seems the cheaper the price for the welder, the cheaper the quality. I have compared specs on 6 different migs (duty times, max and min current, lead lenghts, power cord lengths) and you get what you pay for.
Having said all that I am using a friends "Cemont" mig and he paid $450 Cdn and it is working fine so far. The grd and welding lead are a little short for my needs but i make do.
I bought an auto darkening helmet from ehay, paid $70 Cdn when it got to my door, not a high quality helmet but it works good and yes it can make you a better welder.
I got an old car door from the body shop and cut it up for practise pieces before going to the good Ford bits.
I am no master yet but I'm getting better with practise, plus it is a fun thing to play with.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a Hobart Handler 135 and it works well, you can find good deals on these as they have the newer model HH140 out.
The 140 has improved low-end & high-end settings/performance.
For the what most of us do these 110v are capable machines.
Miller & Hobart are the same company by the way.
Check out this forum, it has a lot of useful information.
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just got mine in yesterday. Same exact model you are looking at. I still have to get a bottle so I haven't had a chance to really test it out. I got mine from weilerwelding.com for $519 delivered. Fortunately the shipping is free because that baby is heavy! It looks like a pretty nice unit, hopefully I can try it out next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts