Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35,502 Posts
When junkyards fail to produce what you're looking for, consult the classified ads and look for a cheap running and driving Explorer or Mountaineer...especially one from the rust belt that still has a decent drivetrain but has become "uninspectable". Take a short vacation and drive it home.

·
Registered
20,925 Posts
You can do this pretty cheap. Hit up a you pull it on 1/2 day sale. I Took the complete engine out of a 1998 mountaineer, even wiring that I cut off at the firewall. The cam in thats engine is pretty good for a daily driver its got good torque and designed to move the SUV tank around so in the mustang its a great match. I just pressed out the “distributor snub” they call it cam phaser drive gear and pressed that on to the regular vacuum advanced distributor. Used all the drive assesories And wired the 130A alternator per online wire up instructions. Just removed and installed my 2 barrel intake manifold and carb on the 5.0 gt40p engine. The gt40p heads do not have emissions port on the back of the heads. I used a regular front sump aluminum pan (With proper oil pickup tube) that I welded a -6an fitting to the side and used a braded hose with a flexible dip stick to check the oil level. As for the flexplate, just buy one for a 50oz balance either “big” or “small”, my c4 had a “small” bellhousing want to say like 164 tooth vs 172 tooth. Also used the c4 block spacer plate and a fox mustang starter.
All in I want to say I spent $700 as I reused alot of parts.
The most expensive was the Sanderson gt40p swap Shorty headers.

Love your style. You sound like me

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've looked for a donor vehicle and the best I could turn up was a $1500 explorer with a bad trans that's been sitting for several years.
I've seen several sites where you bid on wrecked vehicles. Some required a membership with fees. Anyone have experience with those types of online auctions?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
If anyone wants to get rid of the Explorer front dress I may be interested. Ebay sellers want too much money ! I have a Mustang long block, but the shorter WP will fit my truck engine swap better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try Facebook market place. Looks like they have better selection than Craigslist. Quick local search showed 4 1995-2000 v8s for sale all under $1600 all running. For that price you have a good engine, and driveshaft and possibly LSD rear end (with disk brakes and drum parking brake) that can be used on the mustang. Sure with some frog skins That price can be lower.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts