Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have read and learned a tremendous amount from this site, thank you to all that contribute! Second this is strange because normally every question I have has been addressed in the forums already. My searches on this topic have come up empty so this is my first post.

I am wondering if anyone could share their experience with a ready to run distributor?
I got one from a buddy who had it on his 302(swapping for an HEI) and gave it to me. Wanted to know thoughts and if it would be worth swapping this distributor and coil in.
I currently have the 289 with Autolite 12127 distributor with the autolite FAC-12029A coil. The distributor is a southwest performance parts model R2R6702R, I will also use coil that was paired to the distributor, don't recall the model of it right now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
I have an MSD Ready-To-Run in my Semi-Boss 302. It looks like a standard distributor but it has a module contained inside. I puke every time I see one of those bugly HEI distributors in a Ford engine.:ba:
I use a mid-80's Ford TFI epoxy coil with no Pink wire or external resistor.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I also installed a Ready to Run on my 302 and am very happy with it's performance. It has been trouble free since the day it went in the car. I was not a fan of the red cap and opted to purchase the black replacement. I also run black MSD 8.5 wires.
The R2R is tall and will prevent you from installing a straight Monte Carlo bar. In my case, that was a minor trade-off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
I was not a fan of the red cap and opted to purchase the black replacement.
I didn't like the red cap either so before I ever installed it I called MSD and asked if I could send the NOS red cap to them and trade it for a black cap. The lady said "keep the red cap and what's your address so I can send you a black one?". Now that's customer service! I must admit this was before bankruptcy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also installed a Ready to Run on my 302 and am very happy with it's performance. It has been trouble free since the day it went in the car. I was not a fan of the red cap and opted to purchase the black replacement. I also run black MSD 8.5 wires.
The R2R is tall and will prevent you from installing a straight Monte Carlo bar. In my case, that was a minor trade-off.
Good to know they work good. I have a petronix in my stock dist right now. I picked up one of the MSD's at summit on the demo table for $179. It was this one. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8352/overview/make/ford

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Good to know they work good. I have a petronix in my stock dist right now. I picked up one of the MSD's at summit on the demo table for $179. It was this one. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8352/overview/make/ford
I think you'll be happy with it. If you have the spring kit that ships with it and don't know where to start, I might suggest that you begin with 1 Silver (light) and one Blue (light) spring. It will give you about 21 degrees of advance, all in at about 2500 rpm. With my initial advance, I end up with 36* total. It's a pretty good place to begin. A friend who builds SBF's said that this is where they start on all their new motors and then tune from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the pro billet R2R-good, easy to tune distributor. Only negative is that if you have module failure it is not repairable, replaceable except by MSD. Found their customer service to be excellent. Not sure if your part is the same.

·
Registered
33,572 Posts
IMHO, there is no such thing as a "ready-to-run" distributor if you want centrifugal (and vacuum) advance features.

Yes, you might get close with the advance curve the distributor left the manufacturer with but what are you leaving on the table in terms of power, torque and throttle response?

The aftermarket has done a GREAT job marketing "bling" and racer-sponsored "performance" products to the public, their primary intents being a) make lot of $$$ and b) further their reputation by labeling their product (and giving out stickers) and taking advantage of that human nature that says "the more you pay for something the better you talk about it to others".

If you ask me, a properly set-up factory distributor, be it a breaker-point unit or Duraspark, will perform just as well, if not better, than an expensive aftermarket unit.

There is also some fallacy out there that a "performance engine" needs some kind of super-sparky-high-energy-multiple-spark thingy.... only true if you're running 12.5:1 or better compression, [big] forced induction, happy gas, etc. Nice, rich fuel mixtures ignite easily. Lean, EGR-rich mixtures light up hard. THAT'S why GM came out with HEI, because their traditional ignition system, even transistorized, had a hard time igniting low-compression, lean, EGR-rich fuel mixtures well enough to meet exhaust emissions requirements.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Make sure to check the cam & distributor material.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts