Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got the whole Real Big Kit installed. I'm still working out some of the Brake problems and was backing in and out of my driveway testing them.

As SOON as I start turning the front wheels I start hearing a grinding noise (when moving). It took me a few minutes to figure out what was happening, but the Upper Control Arm edges are rubbing with the inside edge of my Wheel Rims.

There is less than a quarter inch clearance between the UCA lip and my rims when the wheel is straight. I thought that was a bit close when installing all this junk, but I didn't realize that when the wheel turned I would have a problem.

Do I need to use a grinder and grind off some of the lip all around the edge of the UCA?? How much clearance should there be. I guess that grinding it won't cause any terrible problems will it? My rims are the 454's 16x8. I didn't have any problems when I had them on the car BEFORE all the suspension and disk brake conversion. And of course I already threw out the old nasty UCA's so I can't compare them.

Has anyone else had experience like this with Repro/Replacement UCA's. And what did you do to remedy it? Grind??

Need help!

-Andy

G

·
0 Posts
grinding is an option...BUT...on a Dakota truck I have, I had this problem and fixed it another way ... I got REAL lucky.

The inside of the rims are not all made to the same spec! They are close, but not exactly the same. I swapped around the wheels and it worked. The FL wheel worked fine on the FR. One of the rear wheels worked fine on the FL. Try it out and see if you get as lucky as I did.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Real big kit + my vintage 45's made for big problems with clearance. I called the guys at Vintage Wheel works. They said they had run into a similar problem on a falcon project car. They told me to try grinding off some of the protruding lip of the UCA, so that's what I did. I concentrated around the ball joint area where it was closest to the rim lip. I'm still having issues with greatly reduced turning radius though. Right now my car is at a race setup shop to sort out the chassis. I'm hoping they'll be able to modify the steering stops to keep them from rubbing at full lock. HTH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts