Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 66 coup. The title says it's a GT but there isn't any GT stuff on it. No fog lights,GT trim,etc. How can I find out if it is a true Gt or not?
Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Order a Marti Report. It will list the options ordered on the car.

Forumers, are Marti reports available for 66s? I can't remember right now.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Start by reading the following link. It will give you some clues as to what to look for.

No Marti reports are available for 65-66. YOu will have to look for clues regarding the presence or absence of the GT specific details..unless you get lucky and find the original build sheet it can be difficult to prove real GT or not.

Identifying the True Factory GT

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
first clue... the engine code MUST be 'A' or 'K'. if not it could never ever have been a legit GT.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
No Marti on 66 or earlier.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The link provided by 63BGT66 is pretty good. Here’s something else I found on the Mustang Monthly site several months ago when researching GTs: How To Spot A Fake '65-'66 GT - Mustang Monthly Magazine

Do you have any remnants of fog lights, such as a corral with the tabs needed to mount the side bars, dual exhaust, etc.? Those could all be clues, especially if they are not present.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
What size front sway bar? It should be 13/16". Hard to fake. Repos aren't
available.
Pull the back seat. Look for the dual exhaust reinforcements in the floorpan.
(photo below, circled in red)

Is there a hole in the dashboard in a reasonable place for a foglight switch?

There are other clues too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no sign of it ever having fog lights. No hole in the radiator support or the dash. It does have duel exhaust but it doesn't exit thru the rear valiance. It does have the rear hanger supports under the rear seat and at the frame rail. It does have the disc brake emblem on the pad and it seems to have the bigger MC. There is no badging on the fenders except for the 289 emblem. It has a normal mustang gas cap. It is an A code, but it has a 2bl on it. I will try to find the numbers on the engine if it warms up tomorrow. The car is not the factory color according to the tag, but the interior is correct and it does have the 4-speed and vinyl top.
Thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
could be a GT that has gone through changes over its 40 plus years and no telling how many owners. btw i kept took the factory fog lights off some of the 65-66 GT mustangs i owned back in the 70's. right now i have 8 original fog lights. nun are for sail. the front fenders might have ben replaced due to a wreck. its hard to say without inspecting the car in person.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The brackets GT289 posted are not the reinforcement you need to look for. They are just the hanger brackets. That hole area about 7"x13" around that bracket will be reinforced with a second layer of sheet metal on the interior side. I'm not home right now or I would post a picture. This is not reproduced and would be pretty hard to do.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Its not a GT.

Without a build sheet there is NO way to prove *any* 65 or 66 Mustang was a GT. All that can be proven is if one wasn't. Since your car did not come worth the required options it is proven not to be one.

At best one can demonstrate (*not prove*) a car is consistent with having been a GT. A few critical things which must be present are:

Exhaust supports.
Fog lights wiring holes and a hole in the dash on the lower left hand side.
Disc brakes (the master cylinder will be different as it will have different volume and a proportioning valve. (Note a "K" code would have disk brakes whether it was a GT or not) (edited to reflect rdlagray's correction)

If it was supposedly a GT with the pony interior then it would also need:

The dash opening for the instrument cluster will have a slight crescent shape cut out from the factory right above the steering column.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sorry but the disc brakes were part of the GT package not the deluxe interior package.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
My floorpan reinforcement photo was not a good representation.
Here's a better one.....

Attachments

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
The brackets GT289 posted are not the reinforcement you need to look for. They are just the hanger brackets. That hole area about 7"x13" around that bracket will be reinforced with a second layer of sheet metal on the interior side. I'm not home right now or I would post a picture.
I can do that.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
(Note a "K" code would have disk brakes whether it was a GT or not).
Ah, true, except the first year of production disc brakes weren't available. But then, neither was the GT. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ah, true, except the first year of production disc brakes weren't available. But then, neither was the GT. :)
Its a myth that K codes had to have disc brakes, they had a lot of the GT special handling items as standard, but Disc brakes weren't mandatory unless a GT.

Don't take my word, or any other info floating around on the web unless its from HiPo Mustang eKschange where the pro's will likly cut down untruths. No one should go k code hunting with out the proper book either.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The link provided by 63BGT66 is pretty good. Here’s something else I found on the Mustang Monthly site several months ago when researching GTs: How To Spot A Fake '65-'66 GT - Mustang Monthly Magazine

This article was one of the worst articles, if not THE WORST, ever written by THAT author! THAT AUTHOR took a several years older, same topic article written by someone else, including same pictures, and put HIS name on the article, AND pictures by him!, with more erroneous statements. The first article, written by a previous MMonthly Editor, was not totally accurate. It was years ago, mid 80's or so, and not everything was then known, I guess. A person in the Fl. Keys, copied the first article with the then recent J. Ford article, and sent it to the publisher. He brought a copy of his letter,with copies of both articles,, to our Mustang club meeting for us to read. We looked at it, laughed, and pointed out errors, etc. Someone there had a 65GT and we kidded him about not having a GT gas cap! as the article stated. 65's did not have a "GT" cap. Am surprised that they, MMonthly, even put that article on line!
It was a lesson on plagiarism at it's worst!

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
right the 65 GT had a standard 65 gas cap. the 66 GT came with a gas cap that had GT on it. i owned both 65 and 66 GT back in the 70's. i am going to put a 66 GT gas cap on the 65 i have now but i'm not trying to be correct either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts