Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some real trouble guys...i just changed out one t-5 for another in my mustang this one from a 93 gt and now i am having some serious problems...I experience some major rattling and shaking at high rpms...at low rpms there is no problem...the shaking goes throughout the car and transmission. with this new t5 i had to get the driveshaft shortened by an inch an a 1/4 to allow for some play in the shaft....i was wondering if maybe the shaft is to short and maybe moving around ...could this be causing the rattle and trembling....i just need as much help as i can get...i have an appointment to take the stang to the paint shop in three days and i won't be able to work on her again for another month then i will be in school so i need to get this problem fixed before she goes in for the paint....thanx for any help you can provide..

Josh

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
When you shortend the driveshaft did you cut the wieghts off? There should be some slack in the shaft to compensate for the up and down movement of the rear end but not enough that it should give any problems like you are saying. You likely will have to get the drive shaft balanced.
Don

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Ditto, you need to have that driveshaft balanced, and PRONTO!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Check the lenght. If you had a T5 in the car and installed a new one, why did you have to shorten the drive shaft? If it was a new shaft than I agree with the others. Have it balanced and checked for straightness. If it is too short it would vibrate and distroy the output bushing ( would whip at the tranny end ) I would think balance would be at a speed, not RPM of engine. Also make sure the universals are in correctly. Just some ideas you have probably already checked, but I hope it helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is RPM related and not speed related, look at the front of the tranny. Clutch, presure plate, pilot bearing, input shaft bearing.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
might wanna check to see if the tranny is bolted down to the cross member on both sides........a missing bolt can cause a tranny wobble at higher speeds....

An unbalanced driveshaft will also cause rythmic wobbles at higher speeds.....if so remove drive shaft and re measure the length from the center of rear end yoke eyes...put the tranny slip yoke on and back it off an inch and meausre the ujoint eyes.....

if length is right have it balanced to higher rpms WITH ujoints installed already as one.

good luck

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Are you sure you got a "V8" version T5? The 4 cyl version has a smaller input shaft diameter and would wobble in your pilot bushing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts