Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am looking for some rear 3 point seatbelt options for my '66 coupe.

The only ones ive found that are really listed for rear are at CJ pony.

Aynone knows other options?

Btw, thats for my 5 years old twins so 3 points are mandatory.

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I like the ones by Auto Löc , sold under various other ebay vendor names, and available in tons of colors for much less than the Mustang vendor prices.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Just FYI, from a safety standpoint you really should check the inner anchor locations(especially if you have children back there)....this is the same area as the dual exhaust hangers are found, its an area that is prone to rot and tearing from people incorrectly hanging dual exhaust on a car that didn't come with correct reinforcement plates....meaning that when that area actually needs to hold in an accident...it might be compromised.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did anyone tried one of those for a rear installation?

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Any link of those?
Just do an ebay search for "3 point seat belt" and whatever color you'd like and hundreds, if not thousands of choices may come up, filter by lowest price, US seller, ending soonest, whatever.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you guys do with that point for a rear install since we dont use it ?

Can you just remove it?

Seems like the buckle would be on the wrong side....

Inkedrtb-369-blk-12_xl_LI.jpg

·
Registered
761 Posts
There are lots of threads on this topic, just do a search. I used Wesco Performance because they were made in the US.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
I'll restate my opinion on this. Adding 3 point belts to the back of these cars without the proper engineering can lead to a dangerous situation. Honestly in these old cars, the 3 point belt is way down on my list of concerns for safety. Incorrect mounting location can turn a fender bender into a serious spinal injury, especially for children.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tought about this too, i am not sure the package tray is really a good mounting point for the belts.....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
In my opinion (and I am not a seat belt engineer at all) I think that since our cars aren't really designed for rear 3 point seat belts with a pivot like that it might be better to copy the setup from a convertible or other car that doesn't have the higher pivot points.

For example, my 95 Mustang:

The mechanism is bolted to the floor in that little boxed in section, then goes up over the rear seat back.

You'd need to reinforce the floor where you bolted it up, and maybe the package tray where it comes through, and you'd have to find some kind of plastic sliders like Ford used to keep the belts from rubbing on the package tray and the seats, but I think it'd be a more secure system than just using the package tray.

Going over the seat also removes the need for that hanging pivot point, though whether or not the top of the seat is high enough for ideal seat belt retention I don't know. It's always going to be a tradeoff putting modern parts in a car that's not designed for them, so you've just got to find what works for you and your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts