Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want the old muscle car look. jacked up rear i guess. i put on different leaf spring shackles and it helped some, although not much to really notice. now as factory my springs are under the axle. is it too extreme to put them on top of the axle for the extra lift?

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Well, you'd need to cut the spring perches off the axle then reweld them onto the top of the tube for a start, then you need to figure out how to fix the issue with the shock no longer being in the correct "plane" unless you retained some way of getting the shock plate to stay mounted UNDER the axle...

FWIW, extended shackles and other mechanisms of "jacking up" the rear end put added stresses on the drivetrain and chassis and, typically, result in a car that handles like sh!t.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
FWIW, extended shackles and other mechanisms of "jacking up" the rear end put added stresses on the drivetrain and chassis and, typically, result in a car that handles like sh!t.
Yep, this counters the basic engineering of the chassis. The best you can hope for is the car rides rough. Most methods also make the car handle badly, or even dangerously badly, such as coil overs or air shocks. I've done some very expensive repairs to cars that once had air shocks.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Whatchya working on ?! Do yourself a favor and order a QUALITY pair of springs for your car's correct length for the installed height and overall ride you want. I wouldn't recommend raising the rear much, if any, over stock. The sleek street look is also achieved with a little drop in the front, which DOES help handling and stability without killing your ride. Try the Arning drop, a 480-ish to 620-ish (depending on engine, accessories and desired ride) front spring with reduced coil count or custom spindles and control arms. Find a nice non-butchered Mustang or three at shows and ask how they got the stance you like.

Attachments

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally I would just go with a taller tire in rear (27") and a smaller tire up front (25") to give it a bit of rake without having to jack up the springs.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe they also sell over arched springs.
I believe they also sell over arched springs.
i am so glad i asked about this. im working on a 67 mustang coupe with the 289. i did change my shackles but it didnt give me the results i wanted. with you all on this forum has redirected me. i really like the idea of the shelby drop. not sure if i need the shorter coil springs. going to booster up my brake system first. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts