Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Been slaving over my 66 i6 Coupe. While trying to replace the fuel line, I fractured the soft line that connects the hard brake line to the rear axle vent/brake distribution block. I figured I could just unscrew the leaking soft line from the block. To my surprise, it looks like the soft line is acutally part of the block. No threads or hex to get a wrench on. It is part of the block which seems sort of dumb to me frankly since the other end is threaded to the hard line.

So two questions for you guys:
-Where can I get a block with the soft line included? Did searches but can't find this part for some reason.

-Having a hell of a time getting the hard line unscrewed from the threaded end of the soft line. Also, the two side lines from the block. Tried PB Blaster and tapping method. Still won't unscrew. Any advice?

Having to remove and replace the entire block for a leaking soft line just seems kind of ridiculous, but such as life.
Any help/advice is truly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Wow, didn't think it would be under the name of the hose. I thought the block was the main part. Appreciate the help.

jmlay , thanks for the link. Is there any brand you would recommend over the others or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks.

Hey awhtx , I was using some offbrand line wreches. They aren't much better than standard wrenches honestly. I probably need some better ones.
Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If that line has been on there a while, soak with some on blaster or kroil. Then try flare nut wrenches, aka line wrenches. You need a wrench on both pieces. If the line wrench slips, you can try FLAT jaw vise grips clamped tight as heck. That has worked for me usually

Jason

·
Registered
42,092 Posts
Are you using "line" or "flare nut" wrenches to loosen the tube nuts? An open end wrench will do nothing but round off the hex.
Hint: If you're not going to save the hard lines ANYWAY, simply whack off the tube and remove the tube nut with a 6-point socket.

·
Registered
22,281 Posts
Due to my exhaust system neither the single or dual exhaust rear line would work. I had to build my own. Here’s what I did. It may help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts