Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was noticing the specifications in the service manual about how much (and type) of fluid for the rear end. The SM states 2.5 pints but also notes that 289-4v's w/removable carrier needs 5 pints.

Since I do not know what a removable carrier is can someone confirm how much gear oil I need before I head off to Kragen's?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
A removeable carrier is when the center section of the rear axle assy can be removed. AKA, 3rd member, pumpkin.... A 8" or 9" is of this type. It is removeable from the front side, the side the driveshaft attaches. The back side is smooth.

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your fluid quantity question however. I believe you fill it up until it starts to come out the fill hole, IIRC.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
SAC ? answered your first question - you will need at least 2 qts since according to my '68 SM the 7 1/4 in limited slip requires 2 1/2 pts while all others require at least 3 1/2 pts. just filled my 7 1/4 conventional today and it took just less that 2 qts. used valvoline 80W90 as suggested here on Forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts