Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple 67-68 doors from a neighbor and he also has a rear axle with the springs still attached that has been setting long enough that the brake drums have rusted so I cant turn the axle.

Question is there a number stamped on the axle tube or any where else that might give me a idea what it got for gears? It is a 5 bolt lug pattern or were they all pretty much the same. I believe it was from a v8 coupe car. No tag or anything on the bolts to give a indication.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The gear set is only put on the tag. If the tag is gone (and technically, even if it isn't), the only accurate way to tell is pull the chunk and count the teeth on the ring and pinion.

If you can get it to turn, you can get a good guestimate of what the gears are, but it will only be a guesstimate.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks johnpro I think I will pick it up even know I don't know what it is or if it is any good. The springs are in great shape! Did they have a variation of gears to choose from back in 67-68 and if the door tag belongs to this rear axle I think it was a c code

1 - 3 of 3 Posts