Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the gears in my 9" from 410's to something more streetable. The car seems to be a Frankenstien, so I am not sure where the rear came from originally. I need to pull the Axles to check the splines (28 or 31). Once the bolts are out will I need a slide hammer to get the axles out or can I give them a yank??

Drivers axle side seal is leaking also, so I need to pull the axles for that too.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Once the bolts are out, it may be a little sticky and not want to come out. I just put the tire back on and use it to get a better grip on the thing and use like a slide hammer to 'pull' it out. You should be able to get at the seal then also.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Slip hammers are good. You can also use the brake drum (if you don't have discs) with the nuts on the bolt ends. Take the drum off and turn it around to get a good lick on it. This may keep from chewing up the threads a little better than if you just use the tire.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'd think you're more likely Not to need the hammer.

Mine came right out by hand. If that doesn't work, I would use the spare tire (just in case it "flies" and hits something), to get the good grip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts