Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago, I refurbished the 9" rear in my 68 GT 350. This included new axle seals. Well now the drivers side is leaking. So I pulled the axle shaft and everything looks ok but decided to replace the seal because the fluid is coming from somewhere. Well I break out my seal puller and proceed to bend the crap out of the puller. That little seal won't budge. I checked to make sure that the puller was not caught on the housing lip flange. Any ideas out there on how to get this bugger out? BTW, the breather tube is clear and not plugged. When I took the old ones out before, it was a bare tube and I used a long piece of pipe and drove it out from the other side. That's not an option now. Any ideas????

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I've had some success with this.
Grab the axle. Insert it back into the tube, _just_ past the seal. Give the axle a sharp whap against the axle tube.
The axle end will disrupt the seal body and it could pop out.

If no luck there does your pipe have threads on it?
Just put a end cap on it (it should clear the inside hole of the seal). Push it in as far as you can and pull out quickly.
The edge of the cap should grab the seal and out she comes.

You could also go down and rent a slide puller with outside facing jaws.
The other ways are more interesting...

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I've done the caveman method of banging them in with a punch and a BFH and then ripping them out with a pair of channel locks.

Be careful not to gouge the axle housing.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Did you soak the seals before replacing them? Let them sit overnight in a cup of gear oil before installing them.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I made a cheap homemade puller that worked great. Find a big washer that will just find inside the lip of the seal. The tighter the fit, the better. Cut the edges of the washer so that it will slip through the seal opening. Get a piece of threaded rod at least 12" long that will fit through the cut washer. Put a nut on the end of the rod and put the cut washer on it. Slide the end of the rod into the axle housing and hold the cut washer at an angle so that it slips through the seal opening. You may have to elongate the hole in the washer. Pull on the rod and the cut washer will seat against the back of the seal. Drill a hole in a short piece of 2x4 big enough for the threaded rod. Put the 2x4 on the rod. Put a washer and nut on the rod and start tightening. The 2x4 will seat on the end of the axle housing and the seal will pull right out. P.S. The axle seal may be leaking because the axle housing got gouged. If so, smooth it out and put silicone sealer in the gouge just before installing the new seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts