Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the rear axle seals on my '66 8" rear. I have never done this before. What should I buy (besides the seals themselves) in order to have all the stuff to do this job in a single day, if possible. I don't want to have the car sitting on jack stands for a week.

Should I do the rear axle bearings? I have been told that I should as long as its apart. They don't make any noise, but they are 36 years old.

Any suggestions, or insights would be appreciated

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
the seals come out with a 3 jaw puller and can be tapped in with a mallet.....

many auto parts places rent/loan the puller.......not much else to replacing them

the bearings are around 25-35 bucks....they have to be pressed off the axle

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Make sure to compare your new seals to the old ones, I got the wrong size twice last time. I would follow the shop manual procedures which are pretty straight forward. I also bought a seal driver set from Harbor Freight for $10 that made installing the seals easy. Use some sealer (cant' remember the name) on the outer edges of the seal as the shop manual recommends. I smeared RTV on the end of the axle tube and cleaned off the excess before installing the axle and retaining plate. My 3 jawed pullers wouldn't fit inside the seal so I tapped up a pair of channel locks with electical tape and pulled the seal out with that.

I had a machine shop press my old bearings off and the new ones on for about $35.

Good luck

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm in the process of doing this on my '68. I found that a sturdy pair of vise-grips was the easiest way to remove them. Just reach in and twist/pull them out. As for the bearings and retainers, I took a cold chisel and cut four slots around the retainer, 90 degrees apart, and the retainer slid right off. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to remove the bearings outer ring. Then I scored the inner ring on opposite sides with the dremel and used the cold chisel to split the ring. You will need a press to install the new bearings and retainers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't forget to rent/borrow an axle puller also. Autozone will lend it to you for free. Sometimes you can pull the axle without it by flipping the drum around and using it to pull on, but it's more likely to be stuck solid and the slide hammer is the tool for that job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts