Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I drove my fastback, I had to get it towed for one reason but found something alarming with my rear end. Everytime it rotates one revolution, the rear shimmies. I have not gotten under the car for various reaons yet but do plan on doing it this week. I assume that I should remove the driveshaft, prop the car up and rotate the wheel. Then try to figure out what is the problem. Am I missing something? What is the most likely reasons for this? I do know that every time I pushed the car in and out of the garage it was not like that at all.

I do have slide a links on the car but I don't think it matters and there is no rubbing with the tires.

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
Was the reason you had the car towed because of the problem you stated or other? What about a belt shifting in a tire? I know this will make a car feel squirrelly

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
Good reply. And if it isn't the tire, look for a bent axle.

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
You may have an axle bearing going away. Haven't work on a disc brake Versailles axle but I would image it comes apart quite similar to a dram set up in as far as haveing an axle retainer with 4 bolts once the disc brake set up is removed. Axles should be fine unless the bearing race spun on the axle.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the U bolts are tight? I remember that happening to someone once before. They said they could feel the rear end moving around under load!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
if you have a tread sepaerating on the car it will exactly like the rear of the car is moving when you are driving. if the rear only has 70 miles on it i seriously doubt you'll need to change any of the seals and there are four seals on the vesailles rear, an inner and an outer on each side.

did you have the rearend built professionally or did you build it yourself?

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Drain the fluid, refill with SAE 85W140 Hypoid Gear Lubricant and add one full bottle of Friction Modifier. Run it about 100 miles and see how it is then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts