Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear brake house on my '66 collapsed and no fluid was getting through. I ordered the replacement from CJ Pony Parts but I can't figure out where the bracket (upper right of picture) is supposed to connect. Old one doesn't look like this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Most single to dual exhaust systems in classic Mustangs have two mufflers positioned side by side where a single exhaust would be... such as I have. When the cars were manufactured with dual exhaust from the factory they had a "transverse" muffler, at least in 69.

If you have the side by side dual exhaust you'll have to re-route your driver-side brake line so it doesn't come in contact with the tail pipe.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Dual exhaust cars use a different hose to keep it away from the exhaust. A lot of cars have been upgraded to dual exhaust without converting the brake hose. We need pics of your current set up to figure out what you have and what you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics. I have dual mufflers.

First pic is where the hose connected to rear axle. (I cut the hose). What is that port on the top for? It had a rubber hose that ran to nowhere in it.

Second pic you can see the new brake hose in position where the metal brake line from front of car connects in the background, and the point where the old one connected to axle. You can also see the driver's side exhaust. I don't think it will touch if I don't it in that same area.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ok, yeah I think that's it. What does the vent tube do?
The vent tube "vents" the rear end. It is just a hose that runs from that fitting into a hole just inboard of the driver's side frame rail.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The hose you have is for dual exhaust and may be to short to make it to the bracket because the dual exhaust cars the hard line bracket is in a different spot on the floor and your old hose is for single exhaust. The picture that rhutt shows is how it mounts to the rear. If you use the dual hose you also need to buy a new vent because your vent is to long and will hit the axle when you screw it in. I know NPD has this vent.

·
Registered
33,641 Posts
You have the correct dual-exhaust flexible hose, but the mounting point on the chassis is for a single-exhaust. You can use a inverted-flare coupling and a short section of hard line to reposition it. It's proper location is shown in the image, below.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have the correct dual-exhaust flexible hose, but the mounting point on the chassis is for a single-exhaust. You can use a inverted-flare coupling and a short section of hard line to reposition it. It's proper location is shown in the image, below. View attachment 736695
Thank you. I think the angle of the picture I uploaded previously didn't do a good job of showing the mounting point on the chassis. See new picture below, it appears to be in the right spot.

The important thing is to make sure the hose is long enough and doesn't touch exhaust pipe, correct? When I go from current mounting point on chassis to vent tube mount on rear axle it appears to meet those two criteria.

·
Registered
33,641 Posts
Thank you. I think the angle of the picture I uploaded previously didn't do a good job of showing the mounting point on the chassis. See new picture below, it appears to be in the right spot.

The important thing is to make sure the hose is long enough and doesn't touch exhaust pipe, correct? When I go from current mounting point on chassis to vent tube mount on rear axle it appears to meet those two criteria.

Just one more observation.... it looks to me like you have the RH muffler on the left side and vice-versa...

·
Registered
157 Posts
My car had a spring attached to the rear flex line attempting to keep it away from the exhaust on the driver side. I got a hose for an early 70’s Ford truck which is longer than the single exhaust Mustang hose. Net result is I turned the bracket around on the axle and the hose isn’t anywhere near the exhaust now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts