Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya fellers
back story....my wifes 66 mustang came stock with drum brakes and single exhaust, i have since converted it over to front KH disc brakes thanks Dan @
chockostangclassicmustang.com
the rear brake line- steel one that runs from front to back- has a couple dings in it and needs replaced. so i ordered a new factory dual exhaust line which i have not installed yet.
i have added dual exhaust and gt leaf springs and dual exhaust spring shackles. the added height with the new springs makes the orig rear brake hose to short, should i just order the Gt dual exhaust brake hose with the bracket or just make a short extension of steel line and just use the stock single brake hose? i will be making new rear end brake lines.
i have also had a couple hundred pounds sitting in the trunk to relax the springs.
Thanks man
Jeff

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just did this conversion. You'll need to weld on a new bracket like this BRACKET REAR BRAKE HOSE CAN ALSO BE USED - #2A051-1A - National Parts Depot as the dual exhaust line terminates in a different location than single exhaust. The correct dual exhaust hose and vent hose nipple would ensure exhaust pipe clearance. The axle housing hard lines are pretty inexpensive and fit reasonably well, I don't think it would be worth making them. Be ready to tweak the heck out of the front to back line though.

·
Registered
34,637 Posts
As long as you have to replace the hard line ANYWAY you may as well get the correct one, the bracket and the flexible hose for the dual exhaust application. If your hard line was in good condition, a short extension would be an option but I'd STILL go with the bracket and flex hose.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't quite understand (GT leaf springs making the body to high for the flex brake line on the the rear axle to be to short). Is this correct? I recently did the exact same thing (other than factory GT exhaust), Chockostang style KH style disc brakes up front, replaced all my brake lines with new stainless steel (to include the long front to rear line), new Eaton "GT style" improved handeling leaf springs, and a new brake flex line on the rear axle and did not have a shortness issue with the brake flex line due to the body being higher than it was. I haven't installed my new Waldron Avoninode duel exhaust yet......but it is my understanding from previous post, if you have the flexable brake like for the single exhaust, it may hit/touch the duel exhaust, in which there is a factory correct flexable brake like from any vendor, that offsets the flex brake line to prevent it from touching the exhaust system. I don't know how much longer it is than the single exhaust flex line, but it is offset? Could that be your problem?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Here is mine, while the weight is not on the wheels and the duel exhaust system is not installed yet, I do not have an issue with the single exhaust flex brake line.

Caper50, you undercarriage is absolutely beautiful, in awwww!
KA044.jpg

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Hiya fellers
back story....my wifes 66 mustang came stock with drum brakes and single exhaust, i have since converted it over to front KH disc brakes thanks Dan @
chockostangclassicmustang.com
the rear brake line- steel one that runs from front to back- has a couple dings in it and needs replaced. so i ordered a new factory dual exhaust line which i have not installed yet.
i have added dual exhaust and gt leaf springs and dual exhaust spring shackles. the added height with the new springs makes the orig rear brake hose to short, should i just order the Gt dual exhaust brake hose with the bracket or just make a short extension of steel line and just use the stock single brake hose? i will be making new rear end brake lines.
i have also had a couple hundred pounds sitting in the trunk to relax the springs.
Thanks man
J
I see you received a number of good tips on running the lines and the distribution connection fitting, so, I won't add my 2 cents on this. However, you mentioned "a couple hundred pounds sitting in the trunk to relax the springs", did you remember to "final torque" the attachment bolts with the weight of the car on the suspension?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We have the same shocks also! lol The brake flex line looks ok to me, there is a slight bend in it, it doesn't looked stressed or am I missing something. +1 on what kenash stated. Weight off wheels, I just finger tightened to a stop the front and rear eyelet bolts on the leaf springs, once weight on wheels, I torqued them correctly. In aww of your undercarriage also, looks beautiful.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Definitely on the dual exhaust support panels behind the rear seat .

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just out of curiosity since I’m going to dual exhaust after I finish my trans work.... will a 68’ single exhaust need the same rear brake line conversion too?

A highly recommended shop that has done many dual exhausts in old Mustangs said I did not need to put in the under seat support plates. Anyone have experience to the contrary?

Mine also has new GT rear Eaton leaf springs and the Bilsteins shocks too. Makes for a great ride! The only thing to do for settling is to give them time and some miles of driving. They really only settled a very tiny bit over the past 8 months.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
If the op
Here is mine, while the weight is not on the wheels and the duel exhaust system is not installed yet, I do not have an issue with the single exhaust flex brake line.

Caper50, you undercarriage is absolutely beautiful, in awwww! View attachment 742561
I am far from an expert on these cars but lots of knowledgeable folks here have said the routing of the single exhaust line is too close to the dual exhaust. I'll take no chances, so I choose to do it correctly. And thanks for your kind words.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Just out of curiosity since I’m going to dual exhaust after I finish my trans work.... will a 68’ single exhaust need the same rear brake line conversion too?

A highly recommended shop that has done many dual exhausts in old Mustangs said I did not need to put in the under seat support plates. Anyone have experience to the contrary?

Mine also has new GT rear Eaton leaf springs and the Bilsteins shocks too. Makes for a great ride! The only thing to do for settling is to give them time and some miles of driving. They really only settled a very tiny bit over the past 8 months.
Someone with a 68 will best answer regarding the need for correct exhaust hangers. Perhaps the shop merely plans on just welding in their own exhaust hangers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Someone with a 68 will best answer regarding the need for correct exhaust hangers. Perhaps the shop merely plans on just welding in their own exhaust hangers.
Good point! I will ask. He did say he fabricates almost everything. But I thought he said they never had problems bolting straight to the floor pan with no problems if they are not rusted.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not trying to offend you or your exhaust guy, But I think Ford knows more about metal fatigue then your exhaust guy. If something happens to your floor will he replace it? If it's my car I'm putting them in. If it's Worth Doing it's Worth Doing it Right!

·
Registered
403 Posts
We have the same shocks also! lol The brake flex line looks ok to me, there is a slight bend in it, it doesn't looked stressed or am I missing something. +1 on what kenash stated. Weight off wheels, I just finger tightened to a stop the front and rear eyelet bolts on the leaf springs, once weight on wheels, I torqued them correctly. In aww of your undercarriage also, looks beautiful.
The bracket that bolts to the axle tube does have a factory bend in it. And Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see you received a number of good tips on running the lines and the distribution connection fitting, so, I won't add my 2 cents on this. However, you mentioned "a couple hundred pounds sitting in the trunk to relax the springs", did you remember to "final torque" the attachment bolts with the weight of the car on the suspension?
sure did

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the great input. if the under side is any indication some of you guys have awesome cars!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts