Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 302 convert with a rear end I'm not sure is original and is in need of new drums etc.

When rear brake dimensions are listed as 10 x 1-3/4", is 1-3/4" the shoe width or the width of the swept area of the drum?

If I have 1-3/4" brakes, can I upgrade to 2" by replacing the drums and shoes or are the backing plates different?

Were the 1-3/4" brakes for the 8" rear and the 2" for the 9"? How do I ID the 9" rear from the outside?

OK, I'll stop now :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
All v8 cars got the 1 3/4 X 10 inch shoes except the cobra jet 428 cars, Boss's etc..(it had nothing to do with 8 or 9 inch rear, just engine size and for other car lines vehicle weight). You measure the width of lining on the shoe and diameter of drum. To upgrade you would also need to change backing plates, drums etc.. My web site in my signature line has info on how to identify 9 inch rear.

·
Registered
21,070 Posts
Unlike Kevin said about rear drums I've found that there is only one part number for aftermarket front drums wether it's a smallblock with 2.25" shoes or a 428 that had 2.5" front shoes. As a result, when I put new drums and shoes on the front of my 66 years ago, I went to 2.5" big block shoes as a cheap upgrade and everything work just fine.

I've read someplace and I don't know how true this is, only repeating what I read and that is you can swap the front backing plates and drums to the rear. Again, I must stress that that I don't know if this is an old wive's tale or if it's true, I've never looked into this. Interesting if it will work though.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
When rear brake dimensions are listed as 10 x 1-3/4", is 1-3/4" the shoe width or the width of the swept area of the drum?
If 1 3/4" is the shoe width,the "cut" area of the drum will measure about 2"

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have you everything you need to upgrade to 2" for less than the parts houses and/or autozone, etc..... PM me if interested. also have 2.5" rear upgrade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. It looks like I have 10x1-3/4" brakes. This car has been sitting for a long time, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts