Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

Well - I am at the point where I would like to do tons of things - but one that
jumps to mind right now is to get the rear seat fixed.

The one that came with the car is ok on top - but faded. It is not ripped or rusty
underneath on the top cushion.

But then there is the bottom cushion. It is very rusty underneath - and a lot of the
metal frame has flaked away. Above, the vinyl is torn badly in the center.

So I have a lead on buying a nice frame with no covering on it.

I have never done interior upholstery on a Mustang - but very little has stopped
me with this car so far.

Is this something the average garage warrior like me can handle correctly?

I am a mechanical engineer (no comments from you machinists out there please!)
so I do have some skills working with mechanical problems.

But I also see all these hog rings - and see special tools in the catalogs...

My front seats need to be done eventually too - so if I need to buy some tools
it might be worth it.

Anyone want to talk me out of it? Or talk me into it?

Thanks!

-Zim

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
You will have to buy a complete set as I've never heard of just getting rear seat by itself . Go with TMI upholstrey ! ! Buy the good hog ring pliers , angle nose works the best . If you don't screw up the material you can always take it to a shop .

·
Registered
680 Posts
There is no reason that you can't do the seat yourself. Buy the hogring pliers and extra rings. You will need them. When you are ready to install upholstery, lay it out in the sun for a little while. This softens it up, and makes it more pliable. Also, some one here taught me a cool trick. When you have to put holes in the fabric for screws and things, use a hot soldering iron. It melts the holes and leaves a little reinforced ring around the hole to help prevent tearing...
Just go slow, and you won't have too many problems....

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I had a local shop recover my seats with material I supplied. I took the seats there and told them I was in no hurry. They had it done in less than a week.

200 bucks for everything. Cheap if you consider that I might have messed up the material.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have done a 66 coupe and vert with no prior knowhow at all, turned really nice. NPD sells a book called MUSTANG RESTORATION HANDBOOK by don taylor and tom wilson, buy it step by step instructions. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts