Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a rear drum to disc conversion on a 66 using late model Crown Vic parts, any problems besides having to make a spacer to make up for the old backing plate? and what year Crown Vic is best?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Gypsy R may chime in. I'm thinking he has a verseille rear end with the disks. It would be really interesting to know if someone has successfully done a "bolt on" rear disc conversion with parts from other cars.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had called Bendix looking for some part number applications and the person I talked to said this was a piece of cake and that he had done many of them and it was a straightforward swap

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,232 Posts
Hee. I haven't actually "done" any rear disks yet. I don't care much for the Versailles rear, the technology is a bit dated and parts expensive. Search the Forum and find out what a lot of VMFers think about the Versailles swap.
Initially I planned to follow in AAloroque's foot steps. He used Cadillac brakes and it seems to have worked out very well for him. http://communities.msn.com/aaronlaroque/reardiscsetup.msnw
I've decided to go with Lincoln Mark VII LSC rear disks, sticking with FoMoCo stuff. I've bought most of the parts required.
http://www.ultrastang.com/Ultrainfo.asp?Page_ID=14
Another option is to use the whole rear end from a 95 or newer Ford Explorer. The lug pattern is the same as the old Mustangs and you'd get low mileage bearings,axles,gears, etc in the bargain. I don't care much for the 8.8 rears and the disks are a little wimpy for my taste. I don't know if any VMFers have actually used one yet, but there's been lots of discussion.
I've looked at some Crown Vics but they didn't seem to me very suited to Mustang adaptation. Then again I've been rooting around rear disks for 2 years and just found out 2 weeks ago about the Mark 7 swap. I'm pretty sure the Crowns have a bigger bolt pattern, but then so do Aaron's Cadillac brakes. There seem to be more brake choices all the time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear that i am using is from a 57 Ford a 9" with the large bearings and large bolt pattern, I am Going to the local boneyard tommorow as they have a crown vic police cruiser and will let you know how i make out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts