Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 Mustang Mach I.

Replaced the brake pads on the rear drums (hadware/springs were kept, they were replaced not too long ago). Passenger side went fine and is all back together. Driver side went together fine, but the brake adjuster metal piece that goes into the gear of the adjuster to keep it from turning on it's own isn't aligning where it needs to be. Should be about 1/2" higher than where it's at. No idea why.

Took it all apart again and re-assembled the brakes, but same result. I had photos of the before and everything appears to be in the same exact spot.

Any idea on what might have caused this? Or how to fix it?

THANK YOU!!

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Try reversing the brake shoes, I think the larger one belongs towards the rear. Compare your first pic to your before shot, you can see the brake material is longer on the rear facing shoe in before, and shorter in the after.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The Larger Brake Shoe ALWAYS goes to the Rear...The Shorter Brake Shoe ALWAYS goes to the Front.

I was watching an episode a few months ago of "Restoration Garage" (Made in Ontario Canada with David Grainger?..and his wife Janice) and they were doing the Front Drum Brakes on a Series 1 XKE Jaguar.... The guy (One of their best workers) doing the Front Drum Brakes actually put the Drum Brake Shoes on backwards....I could not believe it. I was yelling at my TV Screen and even rewound it a few times to see if I was seeing things.....I wasn't. ...lol.. Unreal... Total Fail.

:eek:)

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the fast... and accurate responses. Sure enough, that's what it was. I laid the pads out to compare to the old ones before putting them on and didn't even notice the pads were different sizes. I was looking at the holes, which appeared to be identical until after posting and saw they were just ever so different spaced.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Anytime!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
I laid the pads out to compare to the old ones before putting them on and didn't even notice the pads were different sizes.

Just an FYI- "pads" are used on disc brakes and "shoes" are used on drum brakes. I am a part-time auto parts counter person and I have been baffled a couple of times when a person asks for pads when they mean shoes or shoes when they mean pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts