Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I go for a drive in my 1965 6 cyl with drum brakes; how hot should the rear wheels be to the touch?

I am curious if my shoes are dragging and causing heat or if there is something else to check?

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
That's kind of a a subjective question. A rule of thumb with drum brakes. When adjusted correctly there should be a light drag.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
What makes you think they're getting hot- touch, smell, smoke? they should be warm, yes... hot, no.... smoking, definitely not! I'd say pull the wheel and drum and see what they look like. Make sure you don't have a wheel cylinder leaking as well. Roll the rubber seal back and see if it drips out. The leakage can cause excess heat and smoke. When you button it back up, the wheel should spin and rotate a time or 2 if adjusted right, but not stop right away or just continue to just spin.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The rear drums should not be extremely hot unless you have just done 4 panic stops in hot weather. To test if brakes are "dragging" simply put the car in neutral. If you are on a level surface you should be able to push the car. Or on a slope, the car should roll.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I touched the wheel and could not keep my hand on the wheel. I did push it forward the other day while I was working on it, but am thinking the brakes are still a little tight. If I loosen them, they have the self-adjusters when you go in reverse, correct?

·
Registered
401 Posts
After I go for a drive in my 1965 6 cyl with drum brakes; how hot should the rear wheels be to the touch?

I am curious if my shoes are dragging and causing heat or if there is something else to check?
Did you adjust the emergency brake like the book says?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts