Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if it is my brake cylinders that are possibly causing the brake to need alot of force to stop them and tend to lock up if applied fast in a situation like someone jumping in front of the pony. Any suggestions?? Thnx

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
It seems unlikely that both front wheel cylinders would freeze up at the same time. Unless the car has been sitting a long time.

Try pulling the front drums so that you can inspect the front shoes and drums. While you have them off, hit the brakes gently. You should have little resistance since there is nothing to hold the shoes back. If you can witness the brakes while the pedal is being pushed that would be better.

Most cars will lock up the back brakes under extreme braking, because most of the weight is transferred to the front. An adjustable proportioning valve can be added to change the point at which the back brakes lock up. However, under "normal" breaking conditions, your front brakes will be taking more of the load causing more heat & wear to those parts.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Do you have front discs? If so your proportioning valve needs to be adjusted. IF you have 4 wheel drums then your rear brakes pads could need adjusting.

G

·
0 Posts
Check the rear drums and shoes, may need new shoes and drums turned.
May not be a bad idea to check em all the more i think about it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 4 drums all around...the pads are new....the wheel cyclinders look fine. But I am not sure they are operating they way they should be. Is there a way to be sure they are extending and retracting the way they should...and how can you check the spring rate? Anyone on this?

G

·
0 Posts
you could take each drum off one at a time and have someone slowly depress the pedal to visually
see the shoes spread. there's no resistance doing that so do it sloooow. and put in a new spring
kit on each while it's apart as i don't know of a way to "test" the springs. were the drums turned
when the new shoes were installed? if the drums are "ridgy" they will grab with new shoes.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if the drums were turned...since I bought the car...the previous owner had them done but I don't know when the brakes were last worked on. Who ever did the last brake job put the pads on in reverse...so it didn't stop for #%&%...til I turned them around. But it seems to be very difficult to stop this steed....my father has had manual brake Mustangs and he couldn't believe the force needed to apply to get this pony to stop in its tracks... Anyone have any other suggestions...and thanks to all that replied. Hope to get this pony a set of discs up front in the near future...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts