Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have a small amount of shake above 25mph or so. I have replaced the u-joints. I jacked up the 66/289/3 speed toploader (3.0 open rear) this a.m. put jackstands under it and cranked the car and left it in gear to take a look. There is still some wobble of the driveshaft, it is very noticeable. After cutting the car off. I grasped the drive shaft and turned it back and forth. It has about 1/4" in each direction before it engages the gears. I guess this would be called "slack". Is this too much? Also, at the front end where it mates to the tranny, the output shaft has quite a bit of up and down motion when I pull/push on that end. Is that supposed to have 1/2" of up/down movement? While in the air, I pulled and pushed on the drivers side wheel and it was tight, no motion up or down. The pass. side had some movement up and down. I assume this means the bearings on that side are worn and need to be replaced. I appreciate any info on working out these problems...gary.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It sounds as though the rear bushing in your transmissions's tail housing is shot. With that much play, you may have already damaged the driveshaft's front yoke. It'll be obvious when you pull the drive shaft to get to the bushing. Most any transmission shop will be able to pull and replace the tailhousing bushing with doing nothing more than pulling the driveshaft.

While the wheel could be a bearing, that much play sounds more likely to be an upper balljoint.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom, I didn't know if the tranny had a bushing or bearing on the rear. Also, I was talking about the rear wheels on the pushing and pulling part...lol...already replaced all the front end parts. Thanks...gary.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
WHOA! Yep, rear wheels should have zero (-0!-) movement. while on jack stands, pull the wheel and brake drum and see if the axle moves up and down. If so that bearing is shot, bad juju. I sent an IM on the tranny bushing. It's a sleeve constructed in the same manner and materials as the engines main and rod bearings... well it looks like that's what it's made of. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts